Thread: Sag River

Default Sag River

A buddy of mine brought up the idea if hauling my boat up north and using it for a caribou hunt this fall. Curious how that river runs (depth, current, difficulty, etc). Ultimately, is it worth the haul all the way up there?

Also, does the Atigun River flow towards Galbrath or the Sag, and has anyone ever floated it?

Go with "Plan B",,, a few specialty boats and experienced operators do run the sag to access hunting areas. Rocky, shallow and the water drops fast in the fall. No way is a couple caribou worth the toll the road and rivers up there will take on your rig. Airboats and smaller flat bottom jets that are light enough to drag is mostly what I see up there and have see many of those beaten, broken and abandoned.

If you do go try not to load any extra weight in the boat, have seen several trailers broken on the road from being overloaded.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

As I stated on your thread on the Hunting Forum, I have not done any boating or rafting up there, but been up there and read quite a bit about it. Wanted to chime in on the Atigun River - not navigable with a boat. It runs along the highway coming down from the pass to right about Pump Station 4, then it heads off to the East where it dives into Atigun Gorge. Can't run that in a boat. Most say you can't raft it, although I'm sure there some crazy SOB out there who would / has done it. I saw a write up from a group of guys (not hunting actually), pack rafting down the Atigun River, hiking (way) around the sketchy sections of the gorge, and then floating down to the Sag. Looked like a pretty awesome trip. If you worked a hunt into that mix, it would be an amazing way to do it, and you can forget about seeing anyone else. You could pack-raft float down the Sag to where it meets the road near Pump 3.... then hitchhike -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    As I stated on your thread on the Hunting Forum, I have not done any boating or rafting up there, but been up there and read quite a bit about it. Wanted to chime in on the Atigun River - not navigable with a boat. It runs along the highway coming down from the pass to right about Pump Station 4, then it heads off to the East where it dives into Atigun Gorge. Can't run that in a boat. Most say you can't raft it, although I'm sure there some crazy SOB out there who would / has done it. I saw a write up from a group of guys (not hunting actually), pack rafting down the Atigun River, hiking (way) around the sketchy sections of the gorge, and then floating down to the Sag. Looked like a pretty awesome trip. If you worked a hunt into that mix, it would be an amazing way to do it, and you can forget about seeing anyone else. You could pack-raft float down the Sag to where it meets the road near Pump 3.... then hitchhike -Gr
    That's why I asked about the Atigun. Looking at doing something along those lines, IF we end up going north. Considering doing a hunt on the 40 mile herd as well...

Hey Broc, tell them NO! LOL!

atigun.... a regular raft is normally too wide to run the sticks, so I picked up a PP. Sure wish the sticks had some extensions!!!

btw, congrats on expecting, heard through the grapevine .

Thanks Dan! We're very excited! Definitely going to limit my trips for a while!

In addition to my response on your Hunting Forum Post, I have been on the Sag and Ivashak many times in airboats and jet boats. I have not floated the Atigun, but there is a lot of info on the Raft forum. From what they say, near the pass the river goes through a canyon that is extremely narrow, no way to portage around it, and can have Class V rapids (the worse kind, or best if you are into extreme). Seems to be extremely productive hunt for those with skills.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Just a side note, Atigun gorge is not for the novice! It will chew you up and spit you out, not many spots to portage around the big stuff either. That and by the time you see the big rapids you're in them and screwed if you're not careful. About being alone with no one else on it think again. There are plenty of people that gamble on that river. I have, and I've been lucky to only loose gear, I watched a guy nearly drown on it last year, even with a life jacket the current pulled him under and kept him under a good 45 seconds. Things happen fast on it. It goes from nice and peaceful to "Holy #%*" real quick. Last year alone I lost my gopro2 and 2 paddles in it. There is a class 5 rapid on it with no way around it unless you spot it and get out of the rivers before hitting it (its around a blind corner to boot, which makes seeing it in advance tough). That's not to mention that if you make it through that there is a 10 mile stretch of class 3's on the sag. A couple years ago there was a zodiak abandoned at the confluence of he sag and Atigun, the front chambers were popped and the floor had a gaping hole in it. Many have tried and many have failed. Every time I've tried it I've come up empty handed as far as hunting goes as well.

The Atigun flows toward the Sag, and as many people said it's dangerous water.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth