Thread: Sag River

Default Sag River

A buddy of mine brought up the idea if hauling my boat up north and using it for a caribou hunt this fall. Curious how that river runs (depth, current, difficulty, etc). Ultimately, is it worth the haul all the way up there?

I'm betting you can find a lot more information in the Bow Hunting forum. Since most people bow hunt that area, most of the conversations happen over there, even for rifle-hunting folk (such as myself). I have never been on the river, but have seen it many times and have heard some stories (some horror stories, others just advice to be careful). Plenty of people haul boats, though, and it does the thing that really counts for that hunt: gets you away from the crowds. 5 miles of hiking will get you further away from the crowds, though, since there are a good number of boats. Just sayin. Good luck and have a great hunt if you go!! -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ats-on-the-sag

Lots of other posts on this if you search.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ats-on-the-sag

Lots of other posts on this if you search.
    This site has one of the worse search functions ever... 24hourcampfire is not any better... Tell me what you believe and I will tell you what you should see....

It honestly works way better to go to Google and search for what you are looking for. Most of the featured links will be here on this forum.
    My signature is awesome.

Default Best way to search I have found ...

... is to use the BoardReader site. Here's a link after I've already chosen OutdoorsDirectory.com to search, using "Sag River":
    http://boardreader.com/s/sag%20river...ended_search=1

AK Predator, I think you got the info you were looking for on bowhunting forum. Good luck!

No way to answer yourquestion without knowing what type of sled you plan on taking. The Sag is ideal for an airboat IMHO, marginal for a jet boat, and extremely hard on a prop. I have seen all three run it, all three broken on it. Deep water abounds that rapidly shallows out to an inch are common. Channel can be 50 yards wide or 5 feet wide around the next turn. I have never seen a prop get out without damage. Jet stomp grates get a great workout too, so then need strong welds. Those are just some basics...
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

The sag will not get you get you five miles off the road with a boat.... Too many shallows spots and big rocks and rapids.

I think its a good question for this site since so many folks go up north to hunt with Rifle instead of a bow.

I have been on the Sag several times. I have a 16 foot Alumaweld w/ 85 horse merc jet.

There are places where you will be draging gravel even in the channel. If you are heading to the Ivashak you will have to really watch for the opening of the river or you could miss it.

Several times we have taken the boat all the way up & not even put it in due to low water levels. Then we just bow hunted or walked back twards the 5 mile boundery.

If you are thinking about just running the sag, forget it even in a small jet boat. Too many shallows beyond the Ivishak , & you will end up walking & dragging your boat. Believe me its a pain.

As stated the Sag wont get you beyond the 5 mile boundery with a sled.

If you have a GOOD raft or Kyak you could put in on the Atigan river at the bridge & pull out down by the pump station or beyond IF YOU HAVE SOMEONE THAT CAN PICK YOU UP.

There is lots of info in the Bow hunting, Float hunting, & Airboating forums.

If the water is high enough to make it up the Sag to the Ivishak there will be Several other folks there already so you wont be the only ones there.

RJ Simington

Protaxidermy was spot on. I want to add, that if you think you can float to a lower area and hitchhike back to your rig, expect it to take a few days as not many people will pick you up...and I have never seen a trucker stop for anyone (they represent the largest number of drivers). Take two vehicles, or a bike , or figure a way to get yourself back up to were you left your vehicle. Also, if you have the right boat, heading upstream from the Ivashak is my favorite area as no one goes there. I have hunted many a week and only would see AkNimrod who I will miss the rest of my life, but I know he is with me in spirit.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather