Thread: How many years or miles you getting on your tires

Default How many years or miles you getting on your tires

I have a 2359 trophy on a double axel trailer. I just went to check out my tires and found that the back two have worn on the inside and needed to replaced, so I did that today. I just put these on 2 seasons ago. And the front two I had to replace last year due to the same problem. Just wondering if this is normal for trailers? I mean, when I pull our of the driveway or make a sharper turn, I can due black left behind from the tire... so I would imagine that with multiple turns that maybe this is just normal wear. I have on radials now, not the bias, as it seems at least I will get a little more life on the tire. Should add that I don't know the total weight of the boat loaded on the trailer. But, I know that I'm probably at the top of the rating for the trailer, if not over.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Emu View Post
    I have a 2359 trophy on a double axel trailer. I just went to check out my tires and found that the back two have worn on the inside and needed to replaced, so I did that today. I just put these on 2 seasons ago. And the front two I had to replace last year due to the same problem. Just wondering if this is normal for trailers? I mean, when I pull our of the driveway or make a sharper turn, I can due black left behind from the tire... so I would imagine that with multiple turns that maybe this is just normal wear. I have on radials now, not the bias, as it seems at least I will get a little more life on the tire. Should add that I don't know the total weight of the boat loaded on the trailer. But, I know that I'm probably at the top of the rating for the trailer, if not over.
    I have the same boat, same trailer...and same problem. I went to bias this year hoping to get another year out of them. I havent gotten more than two years out of a set of tires yet.

Should add that I don't know the total weight of the boat loaded on the trailer. But, I know that I'm probably at the top of the rating for the trailer, if not over.
    Haul it to the dump and run it across their scales. If you're like me and everyone else I know, you're likely to scare yourself silly.

I got one season out of a set of tires on a single axel trailer for a riverboat........maybe 2500 miles.....
    I bought some from TDS and so far so good, they are a 185R14 light truck tire, brand is Nankang, rated at 1764 for a dual axle trailer.
    I think they are a 6 ply and no negligible wear as of yet, mine were wearing unevenly as well, inside I think...?
    The tires that come on trailer wheels are el-cheapos.......
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Man i must be lucky. i have the orginal tires on my trailer. but the trailer is over kill for the boat and the dealer ordered it that way. it should be on a #4000 trailer. It sits on a #5800 dual axel trailer. I'm guessing here but in 7 years i have about 17,000 miles total (8 x anch to Talkeetna and back a year 8x250 a trip x7 years= 14,000 miles, 4x fairbanks= 1400, 3x seward =780 roughly) they are 14" "trailer only" tires.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Quote Originally Posted by Jimw View Post
    Man i must be lucky. i have the orginal tires on my trailer. but the trailer is over kill for the boat and the dealer ordered it that way. it should be on a #4000 trailer. It sits on a #5800 dual axel trailer. I'm guessing here but in 7 years i have about 17,000 miles total (8 x anch to Talkeetna and back a year 8x250 a trip x7 years= 14,000 miles, 4x fairbanks= 1400, 3x seward =780 roughly) they are 14" "trailer only" tires.
    Overkill trailer is a good thing, my trailer is really minimal for the boat, seems like thats fairly common with many dealers....... and ok if you are just towing something a few miles, but up here its not uncommon to rack up some miles in a year. My trailer came with 13's and I upgraded with some 14" galvee wheel's w/ tires from 6 Roblees, but definitely cheap tires.....but one season.....? ........Dual axle is the way to go..........
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I purchased new tires and wheels from Six Roblees last Sept, both sidewalls are cracked already! Be careful what you buy!!!

I have a new trailer and the wear was early with under a few hundred mile. I used the warrenty claims, and I'm now on my new (counting the OEM) 3rd attempt at fixing the axles. They did not line up right, I even showed the dealer what I found, they went the extra mile to get it right. I'm still evaluating the last axle fix 3rd set. My recommendation with any new trailer is to take a straight metal bar or pipe, to verify the axles are straight. Place the bar or pipe along the center line of the tires, outside center line wall to wall of tire, the full length of both tires horizontally. You will see that the axles and hubs are lined up or not very quickly. I had wear on the outside on one set, replaced with second pair and it wasn't right by my bar test, showed the dealer they agreed but I still use them to prove I would have wear, this time it was inside and out side wear on the 2nd pair of axles and now still checking the 3rd set. The mesurement with the bar shows only a slight misalingment, time will tell on this new set.
    Good luck

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I've seen 2359s sitting on 3 axle trailers. I used to think that was overkill, but I'm seriously reconsidering that now. The friggin things are heavy!!

This is tuff, but basically sounds like your boat is at capacity for the axles and tires. I have the same issue with my 24' Sea Ark. Everyone tells me I'm fine, but I've taken my rig the the weigh station at the fill and I am about 300lbs under max capacity (single axle), I need another axle and I would be happier, and I think I would get more ware. You want to be careful though too, you don't want too little boat weight for the trailer or you'll have other issues with your boat bouncing around.

I get about 3 seasons out of mine though, your mileage may vary...
    Tony

If they are wearing on the inside or the outside it may be an alignment issue. I had the same problem with my triple axle trailer, and I talked to Trailercraft and they said they can do an alignment on it when the boat is off the trailer. I have not gotten back into try this out yet, but that may be a cost effective option if it makes the tires last longer.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

even though my trailer is over kill. it hauls and towes very well. I dont see to much bounce with the dual axels, i can see the side walls on the tires flexing, but nothing like my buddys single axel. His trailer is a po-go stick going down the road
    SD309 AT
    Custom Mod's

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    I purchased new tires and wheels from Six Roblees last Sept, both sidewalls are cracked already! Be careful what you buy!!!
    That's concerning as I was just fixing to pull the trigger on a set there. Did you get the appropriate load rating for your rig, etc.? I went to TDS yesterday and they sent me 6 Roblees.

i picked up tires for my 5th wheel at alaska tire service....
    SD309 AT
    Custom Mod's

I just wonder if tire wear is just part of having a trailer. I notice my travel trailer has fast tire wear also, although not as bad as my boat trailer. Unlike a car where the front and rear tires are spread out and at least the front tires turn, the trailer tires are close together and I would imagine at 90 degree turns that the tires almost skid some as they have a lot of pressure on them when turning and backing.

Trailer tires are NOT built to wear out, they will rot and blow before you wear the tread down IF running true. If the tread is wearing on the inside of the tires [on the same axle] you are probably OVERLOADED. If the wear is on the outside you may be misaligned or have a bent axle.

I want to upgrade to 15" wheels and go with LT load range D tires on my pacific trailer, I'm done with trailer tires. Just had another one lose the tread while sitting in the back yard [ about 500 miles on that tire, Baton Rouge Louisiana to home.

I also purchased new tires from 6 Robblees last Fall - tires cracked on the sidewalls as well over the winter - yes, even the spare! Can't find my receipts so I'm stuck. Agree, be careful who you purchase tires from, and check the date of manufacture. 6 Robblees got me once, but they won't get me a second time!

jrogers,If you are going to have a trailer or even a pickup alignment done you want the rig loaded as close as possible to its normal load as when you are empty the wheels will sit at a different angle than when fully loaded.When you go out for the week end how many gals.of gas do you have then on the way back how much weight have you used?

my trailer was built in ohio towed to Rockport Mass with 3 trailers on top of it then i loaded my lobster boat on it and it was towed from Rockport to Seattle and i've made a few round trips from my place to whittier with it and the tires still look new but they are 16" tires. Don't know the brand or rating i'll take a look if i remember. The trailer i had my bowpicker on had the same tires for 15 years and i never even had to change the bearings in the hubs.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

So I got new tires put on and I noticed the new ones have a max cold PSI of 65. The tires I replaced had a max psi of 50. Think this will make a difference. I noticed on the old tires that they seemed to bulge out more where they hit the pavement... not so much bulging on the new ones. I should say I also fill to max cold PSI.