Thread: Legality of posession of 2 permits

Default Legality of posession of 2 permits

Does anyone know if it is legal to have a subsistance dipnet permit for Chitna and also hold a personal use dipnet permit for the Kenai?
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

I was told by fish and game. No. Sorry

I was actually issued permits for both a few years ago by F&G, BUT they said you could only have one seasonal limit regardless of where they were caught. Maybe that has changed as they do separate the permits to Kenai Peninsula, including Fish Creek, and Chitina.. Maybe it is just easier to tell people NO, as for sure if you give them the option, some will do their best to take both limits.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...naiSalmon.main

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...orChitina.regs

Chitina and Kenai are two separate fisheries and you can hit both. What you can't do is try to double dip within a fishery, i.e. hit the Copper (Chitina PU permit) for your salmon AND then get your Glennallen permit.

Kenai is set up similarly, you cannot take an entire limit dipping the kenai, then hitting the kasilof, then fish creek. You get one limit for the entire fishery and can use any of those spots to limit out.

Bottom line: They are separate fisheries and have no interaction with one another. YES, can do both.
    Thank you, God, for making so many wonderful creatures. Thank you, not only for that, but also for making them out of meat!

The way I read what he posted he said Chitina Subsistence and Kenai personal use. That changes things.
    If you said personal use for chitina and personal use for the Kenai that might be allowed.
    The question I have is what on earth would a person legally do with that much fish?
    I know many families eat more fish than me and my family do but that is a lot of fish.
    I suppose one might have had a poor trip to one or the other and want to change it up and get a few more elsewhere. But then again you can also grab your fishing rod and head to the Kenai and get 3 per day per family member. Once the Kenai fish hit good it jumps to 6 fish per day. That adds up fast when you figure a person might have a family of 4 or more.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Interesting question, and one I honestly hadn't thought about. Maybe I should have, since I have both the subsistence permit for the Copper and a personal use for Kenai.

I was hoping not to need the Kenai one, but had an unsuccessful first outing at the Copper with only 3 fish. That said, I don't think I'll make the Kenai because work keeps changing my schedule and I won't be around to fish it. I'll be on the slope for almost the entirety of the Kenai season. I got the Kenai originally because I would have been around for the first week or so of the season, but that plan went out the window.

Anyway, if you're not supposed to have both, Fish and Game should probably let you know. I didn't notice any signage saying otherwise and they issued me both, so I kind of figured it was ok. The person issuing me the Kenai permit was fully aware I had the subsistence permit, though, as we were talking about it as he issued me the Kenai one. Now I'm curious what the official answer is.

Maybe he didn't do so well on the Chitna and needs to get some more fish to substain thru til the next season... and maybe he don't fish with a rod and reel... fishing methods aren't the same as yours, so you shouldn't question methods of taking fish legally; and the question is: is it legal to do both? Personally, this question is posted for a friend that didn't do so well at Chitna. I get by with 10 salmon per year because that all I will eat, therefore, thats all I take. I do know some people that take their limit dipnetting just because they can, but that's not the case with me nor the person I'm asking for. BTW, he doesn't fish with a rod & reel, only started dipnetting this year.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    The way I read what he posted he said Chitina Subsistence and Kenai personal use. That changes things.
    If you said personal use for chitina and personal use for the Kenai that might be allowed.
    The question I have is what on earth would a person legally do with that much fish?
    I know many families eat more fish than me and my family do but that is a lot of fish.
    I suppose one might have had a poor trip to one or the other and want to change it up and get a few more elsewhere. But then again you can also grab your fishing rod and head to the Kenai and get 3 per day per family member. Once the Kenai fish hit good it jumps to 6 fish per day. That adds up fast when you figure a person might have a family of 4 or more.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Quote Originally Posted by skagdog View Post
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...naiSalmon.main

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...orChitina.regs

Chitina and Kenai are two separate fisheries and you can hit both. What you can't do is try to double dip within a fishery, i.e. hit the Copper (Chitina PU permit) for your salmon AND then get your Glennallen permit.

Kenai is set up similarly, you cannot take an entire limit dipping the kenai, then hitting the kasilof, then fish creek. You get one limit for the entire fishery and can use any of those spots to limit out.

Bottom line: They are separate fisheries and have no interaction with one another. YES, can do both.
    This is the correct answer.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Yeah, I think questioning the reasoning behind why someone would need both isn't the issue. We use around 60 salmon per winter, sometimes more, sometimes less, but it all gets used one way or another. My wife is Native and takes using the whole fish pretty darn seriously, which is as it should be. Bottom line is I need to come up with more fish for this winter. I'll probably make a second trip to the Copper in August to try to fill the freezer and smoker a bit. I usually top the season off with a cooler full of silvers, but last year they never materialized. I generally don't have the time or flexibility (or the geographical advantage of running to the river after work) to catch all we need with rod and reel, though in a perfect all I would do is fish....lol.

There's a big difference between having both permits and filling them both. I wouldn't have even gotten the Kenai permit had I fared better at the Copper.

Thanks for the answer, skagdog and FishGod.