Thread: Trout hate white flesh

Default Trout hate white flesh

Hey guys,

Good to learn from all you fly fisherman and to know there are some purists in Alaska. I am going to be on the peninsula in many of the rivers fishing for trout and dollies July 23 to August 1. My question is regarding colors and what I should use. I generally use a pretty red bead and do well this same time of year. Regarding flesh, am I going to be wanting to fish almost all match the freshly filleted carcasses or would it also be a good idea to fish some dirty soak cream type flesh patterns. My thought was that with everyone filleted their sockeyes it would be better to go almost all bright orange. What is your favorite flesh pattern at the end of july particularly in the kenai and russian? Thanks guys and good luck to all of you!

I would still use the bright flesh during that time frame. I have done really well with the bright flesh patterns. I usually start to throw the washed out colors in late september and October. Doesn't mean they won't hit it, but with fresh carcasses being thrown in the water that food source is still there in the bright orange. Fish on!

Quote Originally Posted by Brown drake View Post

Good to learn from all you fly fisherman and to know there are some purists in Alaska...

I generally use a pretty red bead and do well this same time of year...

A comedian. Welcome to the forum. If fishing downstream of cleaning tables and such, I would lean towards pink, peach, and orange. My personal preference being a two toned variety of the above colors. While I haven't caught many fish on flesh, the majority of my success has been on these colors. When talking white flesh, most of what little I know suggest it to be a good late fall color.

Dan

I have found white and off white to work year round.....I wouldn't overthink it, then again if on the Kenai etc. perhaps the fish have been conditioned to prefer fresh looking flesh, but in all other rivers, the flesh available is from a spawned out fish rotting in the current....and it is white.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    I have found white and off white to work year round.....I wouldn't overthink it, then again if on the Kenai etc. perhaps the fish have been conditioned to prefer fresh looking flesh, but in all other rivers, the flesh available is from a spawned out fish rotting in the current....and it is white.
    I agree with both Nook and Catch It. I fish flesh A LOT and have found that when carcasses are in the water, both fresh colored and washed out flys work. Remember, the guts go in the river too and I have witnessed very large trout engulf the guts as they float down river. I have tied some really large flesh patterns trying to mimic the guts of the salmon and have done well. I do find that if there aren't carcasses in the water, washed out flesh works a lot better than brightly colored. At any rate, be prepared and bring a variety of both in a few dif sizes from micro to MACRO!
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"