Thread: illegal to drive atv across a salmon river

Default illegal to drive atv across a salmon river

Is it illegal to drive an atv across any salmon river at any time or only some rivers at some times.
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

My understanding is that driving ATVs across salmon rivers, without a permit, is prohibited by the Anadromous Fish Act, AS 16.05.871

"...If a person or governmental agency desires to construct a hydraulic project, or use, divert, obstruct, pollute, or change the natural flow or bed of a specified river, lake, or stream, or to use wheeled, tracked, or excavating equipment or log-dragging equipment in the bed of a specified river, lake, or stream, the person or governmental agency shall notify the commissioner of this intention before the beginning of the construction or use...." [emphasis added]

i wondered about this too. there are a few rivers/creeks up here that do have a few salmon go up and sometimes right back out. i dont know if they spawn in them or not. would be nice to travel up the high water mark with a wheeler for game retrieval. does a few salmon mean its a "salmon river" or does it have to have a known spawning population? so for example if you see one salmon in a small river does that mean its illegal to drive across?

I believe a given waterway is a "specified" river/lake/stream for the purposes of this law if it's listed in the State of Alaska's "Catalog of Waters Important for the Spawning, Rearing or Migration of Anadromous Fishes" and its associated Atlas.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/SARR/AWC/

I seen it happen a few times at Jim creeks with trucks and jeeps

Quote Originally Posted by wesak81 View Post
    I seen it happen a few times at Jim creeks with trucks and jeeps
    Jim Creek as well as some others have a special fish habitat permit allowing crossing. Here is a link to the permit: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/li...s/4_gp0001.pdf

thanks for the links i actually found out the status of the places i was talking about.

ADFG actually issues a "statewide" permit for snowmachines to cross the anadromous streams, otherwise you'd be breaking the law then too!

There is a statewide anadromous streams catalogue. If a stream is not in it, its not considered a salmon stream.