Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchorage Kings

Default Anchorage Kings

http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/index.html

Scroll halfway down the page and see that it's true; a king has definately been caught out of Ship Creek. 3 Rivers Fly & Tackle in the Valley has also confirmed a piscatorial fatality of the same on the Little Su.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Change your lines, clean your hooks,
    patch your waders and grab your tide books
    gas up the rig and pile in the gear
    we've waited all winter
    .... they are finally here.

-Robb Kuchenoff
    "Back Country Robb"
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

I wouldnt get too excited just yet. That picture has definitely brought the people out. I started fishing Ship the same day that pic was taken and I think it was just a lucky fluke. I have fished the evening high tide every day since that and a few mornings and low tides as well, and have not even see a fish roll. I know there have been reports of seeing a few rolls, but I was fishing right next to a guy that kept telling his partner he was seeing rolls and I looked right at it each time and it was just current. The water was just clear enough that you actually would have seen the fish in that. I think the long winter has taken its toll and people are starting to see things! Still a good reason to get out of the house though, but from what I have seen so far I am not expecting to catch anything just yet! Also fished the little su yesterday by boat and came up with nadda!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

My bet is.........one more week and the numbers running upcreek will be fishable.

Default Kings

Water_Grem is right. Another week and it'll be good. Yesterday I saw a king rise and surfce on the outgoing tide. It was bone fide! Saw the fin and tail, swirl, the whole enchilada! Still, no bites or hits on my bottom-sitting eggs. Needed to sleep in this morning (old whimpy guy). Will be back tomorrow early...

I saw a man in uniform land one landed today on Ship. About an hour after that people started coming in by the hordes. A flyfishermen had another one on and lost it at the bank. I didn't see anyone else hook any.

I think I am going to give it a rest tonight and try again tommorow. Really hoping to hook into my first king soon!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Saw someone pull a 15-20 lbs king out this afternoon from Ship.

Yes everyone go king fishing, trout fishing is terrible
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Unhappy

Swung by Ship Creek this morning and not only was it low but dang muddy all the way up towards the dam! I wonder when the flood gates are gonna open to help wash away all that mud and silt that built up. I first started off at Reeves Blvd. to try my luck at some trout and walked down stream a few hundred yards...dirty. At times I was at knee deep level and really couldn't see the bottom. If the water doesn't clear up soon I don't know how the Kings, much less the trout, are gonna see anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBluTex View Post
    If the water doesn't clear up soon I don't know how the Kings, much less the trout, are gonna see anything.
    For the vast majority of the guys fishing Ship, flipNrip rules the day. Viz is hardly a consideration with that method.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    For the vast majority of the guys fishing Ship, flipNrip rules the day. Viz is hardly a consideration with that method.
    I don't think the 'majority' flipNrip. Yes, many do - and some blatantly rip. And I've seen them cited for it. But many use eggs. Many use spinners, and there are some fly fishers that actually fish a fly and do it properly - and they catch fish.

I fished it today for two hours and never saw a flipNrip'r.

I got my King last year fair and square while fly fishing,

Have seen the flipNrip people in action.. Not my idea of really fishing...JMHO

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by akelf View Post

Agreed and saw the yahoos doin' it for the first time last year fishing for Silvers. Pretty pathetic. Here I was, fishing with my oldest after high tide and the water was receeding, and these friggin' goobers start walkin' down the middle casting and rippin' their lines. Paying no attention to us casting and walking directly in front of us. Of course this was early in the morning and Law Enforcement weren't around. Curious as if they would do anything about it even if they saw it. So much for being curtious towards other fishermen but heard Ship isn't exactly known for drawing the ethical fisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by akelf View Post

I'm new to AK/salmon fishing, but isn't flipping an extremely common and accepted tactic? Everyone I speak to either on the creek or at the local shops (BJs/Sportsmans Warehouse/etc.) all suggest it.

Certainly at low tide, 95% of the people on the creek are flipping, no?

Why the beef with flipping?

There is a big difference between flippin' and flippin' & rippin', Bro. The standard flippin' part is where you flip your corky & yarn upstream and let it drift down. The game plan is the fish either see it and venture towards it or the hook drifts into their open mouth. The flip & rip method is where an idgit casts out and then YANKS the line in hopes of snaggin' the hook into the fish. It doesn't make a difference if it lands in the mouth (not likely) but generally directly into the body somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBluTex View Post
    There is a big difference between flippin' and flippin' & rippin', Bro. The standard flippin' part is where you flip your corky & yarn upstream and let it drift down. The game plan is the fish either see it and venture towards it or the hook drifts into their open mouth. The flip & rip method is where an idgit casts out and then YANKS the line in hopes of snaggin' the hook into the fish. It doesn't make a difference if it lands in the mouth (not likely) but generally directly into the body somewhere.
    Ahh. Thanks for the explanation! I will do my best to do it properly.

High water is the only time you get a reprieve from the rippers. They need flowing water to do the dirty deed. Once the water slows down, stops or actually starts to slowly flow upriver, the rippers either leave or get pushed on upriver to avoid the effect of the tide. This is the best time for legit guys to tempt a willing biter with eggs under a float or a big Vibrax spinner without the flipNrip hordes putting down the bite!

Once that water turns around and the current gets pushing back downriver, the rippers descend on the receding water once again until the next flood.

Nobody gets a ticket for ripping... NO ONE! The actual act of willful snagging is openly practiced and blindly tolerated by the fish cops... they don't even blink! Rippers will only get a ticket if they're stupid enough to keep a snagged fish while enforcement is present.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

So speaking of ethical fishing practices, what is the best way to catch and release a king? Is this difficult? I obviously know enough to avoid touching it too much and never in its gills. I've heard that to legally do it you have to keep its gills in the water, but this seems like it would make unhooking it extremely difficult, no?

Default Ship Creek

I fished Ship right under the bridges for 3 hrs on the high tide tonight (8-11pm on 2/21) and had no hook ups. Fished roe under a bobber. I saw 2 definite rolls/fins and thought I may have had a couple nibbles that took my bait. May have been sculpin. No one seemed to be catching. 10 to 20 ppl were on the river through out the night. Everyone would oohh and aahh everytime a fish came up. I think the fish are running late but it's getting better with every tide! Right Now is the time to be on the river. Not too many people and there ARE fish in there!

Default ? late???

I used to fish many days in May in Ship. I have less free time these days so I usually do not start until at least May 20th. A few rollers and a few fish caught sounds normal for this time of the year. Some years, some days, I have seen multiple hook-ups prior to May 20th, but that is not the norm. The Anchor River counts seem normal so far; I have not seen other numbers from ADFG for other Cook inlet fisheries; although those numbers would reflect ocean issues, not stocking numbers for Ship. The size of fish caught at Ship this year seems encouraging.

Last year I found a muddy Ship Creek on clear days after the run off. I found out heavy equipment was being used upstream illegally. I called ADFG and reported this. So, if there is no rain, there is no run-off, and the water turns to mud in 5 minutes AT AND ABOVE THE DAM, call and report it. THe number is on your license.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast