Thread: Oil bath trailer bearings to grease

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Default Oil bath trailer bearings to grease

Tired of water getting into oil (milky looking, oil never leaks out), grease zirk threads into drain plug hole. Anyone ever done this?

I helped a our mechanic do this on a MCI Motor Coach. We jsut packed the bearings and everything full of grease. Not sure how well it will hold up on the highway but for the slope it worked perfect

I am surprised to hear this, I have had oil bath hubs on a trailer for the last 5 years and have not seen any water, I changed the oil once just cuz.
    But figured I would never go back to grease type hubs on any future trailers........been pretty happy with them.......you must use yours a lot more than I do......!

I am sure you have changed seals and all that.....?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I asked a mechanic to look at my spindles this am. He pointed out a VERY slight indentation all the way around both spindles where the inner seal had seated and said that it could contribute to water intrusion...even if new seals were installed. He said he was swamped, but gave me a couple referrals. Well I'll be switched...the 2nd guy said exactly the same thing as the 1st, and without me dropping the slightest hint. I wonder if ACBMAN's problem could be something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    I asked a mechanic to look at my spindles this am. He pointed out a VERY slight indentation all the way around both spindles where the inner seal had seated and said that it could contribute to water intrusion...even if new seals were installed. He said he was swamped, but gave me a couple referrals. Well I'll be switched...the 2nd guy said exactly the same thing as the 1st, and without me dropping the slightest hint. I wonder if ACBMAN's problem could be something similar?
    I wonder if they make a "speedy sleeve" for that application...?
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I wonder if they make a "speedy sleeve" for that application...?
    Is that what my neighbor was telling me about? He said they could machine spindles on the axle...like brake rotors... then sleeve them. He didn't know who provided that service and no one I've asked seemed to be familiar with the practice. The topic has sparked my curiosity and I found this. I don't have a opinion but thought it might be food for thought...

"Oil bath hubs are great for trailers that get a lot of use and not sitting up for any length of time. Problem with them on RV type trailers is that they may sit for months during off-season which leaves the top half of your bearing and spindle exposed whereas a grease packed hub encapsulates the whole bearing and spindle when idle. Or if per chance you have a leaker and water has infiltrated the hub, oil would rise and the water will settle on the bottom of your bearing."

I just looked up "Speedi sleeves" and SKF makes them, others I am sure, I have used them for other applications and they are realtively inexspensive and easy to install. I bet someone would have them in stock, bearing supply house or 6 Robblees..

http://www.skf.com/group/products/se...eve/index.html
    TR

I had nothing but trouble with my oil bath bearings, seemed like I worked on them after every trip. I think on longer pulls every thing would get warm and when I dunked the trailer in the cold salt water the seals would shrink and take in a little water.?? Never really figured it out but I replaced them with these and haven't had any problems. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boati...3Bcat104473980
    Cabelas also has 5$ shipping right now.
    Plus original rotors and brakes on the EZloader were rusted junk after one season. I would never buy anything but stainless for saltwater again.

I don't use the oil bath bearing lube system but I do use Bearing Buddy Seal Kits......these have a sleeve and O-ring as well as a quality seal that go on the back of the spindle......sure minimizes my boat trailer problems. Inexpensive too!

I ended up buying a new axle and hubs with the EZ Lube system on the trailer I'm re doing. I like the idea of the grease being forced through both the inner and outer bearings. These hubs come with a zerk installed so its not necessary to have EZ Lube spindles to get the benefit of the system. I was fortunate that my new spindles are EZ Lube, also, so greasing is easy.