Thread: Taxidermy Trophy Care (Salt Substitute)

Default Taxidermy Trophy Care (Salt Substitute)

So I've been through the old post and searched and read everything I could find on TTC but I noticed that nothing has been posted since 2010. Does this stuff still exist? If so does anyone have any recent experiences with it? Thanks in advance.

I have used it on several sheep and bears and have had good luck with it. I will say that you need to really flesh your cape well before you apply as it causes the hide to get harder than plain salt and as with plain salt too, it is a PITA to flesh a salted hide. I tend to mix TTC 50 percent with plain salt.

http://genestaxidermy.accountsupport.com/?page_id=580

Also had good luck spraying capes with stop-rot.

http://www.whitetailsystems.com/Stop-Rot.html

TTC was used on 2 of these rams.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Before using any Salt substitute call your taxidermist & see what they would prefer you use.

We all use different tanneries or tanning methods & what works good for one guy does not work for anouther.

ALWAYS flesh all of the meat & fat off before salting or aplying anything to the skin.

This will decrease the chance of slipping the hair.

Always work the salt into Every fold & crevice of the skin. I have had several people say they fleshed it really good yet we find a area that is stuck together & didnt get any salt at all. This usually causes slipping.

Get with your taxidermist & have them show you how to Properly turn the face & ears.

Lots of times guys will get all the meat off & salt but do not turn the nose or ears leaving us taxidermists a mess to deal with.

Anouther thing, DO NOT SALT YOUR SKIN THEN THROW IT IN THE FREEZER !!!!

Salt inhibits freezing & your skin can actually go bad In the freezer bercause of it. PLUS its a pain in the butt to deal with for us taxidermists.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    ww.protaxidermy.com

I have also used it on a couple of bears and a caribou cape. My taxidermist does not have an issue with it. I also make sure I flesh the hides real well and turn the nose, lips, eyes and ears before I apply anything. If weight is a consideration, its the way to go.