Thread: White Seabass in Alaska?

Default White Seabass in Alaska?

I found an article on folks in California catching White Seabass. This led me to read the wikipedia entry for White Seabass and it says they're found as far north as "Juneau, Alaska". Link here.

I've never caught White Seabass here in Juneau nor have I heard of anyone else catching them. Is it really possible to catch this fish in Southeast?

I live in the tip top far northwestern corner of California and I have never even heard of one being caught. We do get a warm current here on el nino years and guys get dorado and tuna, but they still go 20-40 miles offshore to do it. WSB are coastal fish I believe.

I suppose its possible that a few white seabass might stray as far north as Juneau during a really strong El Nino cycle, but it's certainly not part of their normal range. Normally the farthest north one would find them is about the SF bay area. Couldn't find any white seabass catch records listed on Oregon or Washington, so if any have been caught in either state by recreational fishermen, they weren't submitted as potential records.

Also couldn't find any mention of them on any Alaska fish records sites ... then again, if someone in Ketchikan or Juneau caught a small white seabass, what are the odds that they would even know what it was?