Thread: Bearings, Leaf Springs, Spindles..OH MY!

Default Bearings, Leaf Springs, Spindles..OH MY!

After pricing replacement parts, I bought a used trailer and started tearing into it this weekend. Bearings are probably have some life left but I ordered new hub/bearing kits anyway. The spindles are smooth except for the very bottoms...they aren't too rough as in no deep pitting, but I'm not sure if they need to be replaced. I know I can have new ones welded on but considering the cost of spindles and $100/hr. shop rate, I'm not sure that would be money well spent. 6 Roblees say I can buy a new axle/spindles for about $135. If the spindles need to be smooth as a baby's rear...then these have to go. Leaf springs are pretty ratty, too, and I'd probably replace those if I went with a new axle. Any advice on the spindle situation?

Spindles are cheap and I charge a lot less than most shops if you want to go that route.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

From my experience I would replace with new parts. I think it is cheaper in the long run.

So, what's up with this..the broken part with the blue tape tabs? Its broken in the same place on both sides. My other trailer doesn't have them at all. I guess welded spring brackets would hold up better than these u bolted ones.

That looks like simply a bar to maintain the proper distance between the shackles. It would be an easy mod to measure them out and weld them to the frame. I haven't seen bolt on spring shackles before...

Regarding the spindles, the only place they really need to be smooth is where the inner seal rides. If that area is pitted, the seal will wear quickly and it will start leaking. You might be able to get away with sanding the area lightly to smooth things out.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I'll do a better check on the spindles...the hubs were plumb full of grease and both inner seals pretty well blown out. It will be interesting to see if the spindles are rough in that area or if the seals failed due to over greasing. I've been researching EZ lube, Sure Lube, Super Lube hubs and Bearing Buddies and have read a few statements that although they're decent systems, that if greased when cold its easy to blow out the inner seals. Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

Amazing how a 5 ft. cheater bar can even make a gimp like me look like a stud if only momentarily. I got those old shackles off. If they had installed the 2nd set of u-bolts, those spreaders wouldn't have broke. I doubt the bearings had ever been serviced in any way. The inner seals were rusted into a single unit with the hubs. I couldn't even develop a crack to pry them out with a wide punch...they just caved in. Not giving up, though. If I can get those inner bearings and grease out, I thought I might use one to sink a chum bag close to the boat and give the other to my neighbor to use as an anchor for his small cataraft. I have no idea why all this beating, heating, bolt snapping stuff trips my trigger, but I enjoy it.