Thread: Need some reloading data for 45-70

Default Need some reloading data for 45-70

I got some 325gr Hornady FTX bullets for my 45-70 a while ago, and decided to make some loads with them today. When I pulled out my Hornady manual 325 gr bullets aren't listed, so I'm assuming they are a new product. I'm wondering if anybody with the new manual can get me some load data for IMR 4198, IMR 3031, and IMR 4895, or Varget if it's listed. I'm shooting these out of an 1886 winchester, so the level 2 data is what I need. Looks like Hornady doesn't list their reload data on the website anymore, and I can't find anything in any of my manuals or online for 325 gr bulltets, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

This link should give you all the loading data you are requiring..! http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I checked that one out, but it doesn't list 325 gr. I'm wondering if I just take the 300 and 350 and use what's in the middle if that would work.

What kind of rifle, Marlin lever, Ruger #1 Trapdoor?

When using the FTXs you need to make sure you cut your brass down or use once fired LEVERevolution brass. The LEVERevolution brass is quite a bit shorter than standard 45-70 brass. I can tell you first hand that those "lipstick" bullets are deadly.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have a PDF file for the 325 FTX loaded for Marlin 1895 I saved from the Hornady site when it used to be posted there. I don't know how to attach a PDF here though. Any suggestions?

Try this link, second one down. There is the PDF...

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45-70-govt/99359-loads-45-70-hornady-325-ftx-1895-a.html

I'm shooting a model 86 Winchester. I tried out the factory loads and they didn't work too well, so I figured I would try and make them myself and develop something. I like the idea behind the flex tip bullet, and the possibilities they can have. I'm wondering if getting a Lee Factory Crimp die will solve the crimping issue with the shorter brass. I loaded up a round with normal sized brass to see if it would cycle in the winchester action due to it being a little longer, and suprisingly it had no problems. I figured it would be like trying to cycle .44 Mag FTX in my model 94 which get stuck on the magazine.. I have to cut the cases on those to get them to work. I wonder if Winchester makes a little more room in their model 86 actions than Marlin's model 95.

I tried to open the link you posted Mark, but it's not letting me see it. I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and go buy a new manual for this one caliber.

And with how that load you have grouped Steve, I'm thinking I'm going to try 47.9 grains of 4198! If you don't mind me asking what primer did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    And with how that load you have grouped Steve, I'm thinking I'm going to try 47.9 grains of 4198! If you don't mind me asking what primer did you use?
    Used CCI 200 Large rifle primer seated to 2.600 COAL and crimped with a lee crimp die.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I tried to open the link you posted Mark, but it's not letting me see it. I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and go buy a new manual for this one caliber.[/QUOTE]

Cut and paste it into the URL window above....

For me to get to the hodgdon reloading data from behind the firewall at my office I have to start at www.hodgdon.com and then click through one step at a time to get to the reloading data center. Just saying.

As far as crimping, I sent in a cut down case, IIRC I had to trim 050 off it, with a 325 FTX seated in it to Lee. Lee made me a custom crimp die for it no problem, I don't know if it is a stock item for them now or not; I got mine a couple years ago.

I don't have load data at the office. I worked up a few loads for Marlin 1895GG, but none of them grouped great for me.

Really like Reloader 7 with 350 grain Hornady at 51.8 grains for 2000 FPS in the 45-70 guide gun.
    WW brass with federal 210 Match primers
    Alaska