Thread: Anyone making smaller caliber Kentucky rifles?

Default Anyone making smaller caliber Kentucky rifles?

Anyone making smaller caliber Kentucky rifles?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have only ever owned 4 or 5 black powder rifles.
    A 54 caliber Lyman Great Plains (which I used to harvest a couple caribou )
    A 58 caliber Kodiak double.
    a 577 caliber Enfield
    a 58 caliber Zouve carbine
    and a 69 caliber Brown Bess re-pro.

Well I have been thinking about another, but I do not see the need to blow off huge amounts of powder and even harder to find lead.

SO...... I was thinking of something like a traditional squirrel rifle in something like 36 caliber.

Does anyone make a small caliber traditional long rifle these days ?

Traditions is making their Crockett 32 caliber. I've had one for years and shot it a bunch. Accurate as a snakebite, too. It's a lot of gun for the price these days. If you want to spend more than twice as much and wait a while for delivery TVM makes quite a few styles in both flint and cap in a whole range of calibers including 32, 36 and 40. Those are really nice, but delivery time is around a year. You can pick up used CVA, TC and Perdersoli models here and there on the used market, but a hunt is usually required. Dixie is the most reliable source of new Pedersoli 32 cal models including kits in both percussion and flintlock. Then there's the used market for guns from custom makers. Last year I picked up a used custom 30 caliber flinter for more than the Pedersoli but less than the TVM, and it sure has cut into my use of the Crockett.

32 caliber rifles are about as powerful as a 22 lr and a bunch of fun on small game. Best I remember a 32 cal ball is around 40 grns pushed with about 20 grns of 4F powder it's a hoot.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I figure it would be a hoot on paper targets and maybe a few balloons at the range..
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I figure it would be a hoot on paper targets and maybe a few balloons at the range..
    You got it. About anything else you want to shoot too. My faves are clam shells on a beach and ice chunks along creeks in the winter. Made up a bunch of ice cubes with food coloring in them for the summer range time. Keep them in an ice chest at the target butt. Pink puffs of mist when you hit them square.

BTW- Both my 30 and 32 cal MLs thrive on 10 grains of 3f powder. That's 700 shots per can of powder. Caps are spendy, but the flinter is cheap to shoot. Cast my own balls from free lead and use pillow ticking to make my own patches. You get 1300 32 cal patches from a square yard of the ticking at about $6/yard. Call it free, but between patches and powder, I'm spending less than $50 for over 1,000 shots. Can't do that with a 22LR today, for sure. The same 10 grain charge is about as flat shooting as a 22 out to 35-40 yards, but hits a whole bunch harder than a 22. Dandy snowshoe hare popper.

I have handled a couple of these, http://www.leipersforkflintlocks.com...stom_Shop.html, when visiting a friend of mine that lives in Nashville. They are stunning. I think he will build a plain, shooter for about $2K.