Thread: Waiting for the Sockeyes to Pick up

Default Waiting for the Sockeyes to Pick up

Trying to find some options for fishing until the Sockeye pick up a little. Would going to the spit be a good option right now? Or any other suggestions for some fishing? Just looking for some meat to fill the freezer and a fun time with the kids. All info appricated Thanks. -ESF

I also considered Seward snagging or surfcasting if that is any good right now.

You could fish the spit and catch all the cod and Pollock you want. Quite wormy there though

Thanks. I'm aware of the worms, we caught some last fall with bad worms, it seemed the cod were not as bad as the pollack. We just picked out the worms from the cod and let the pollack go. It's just like the gish sticks at walmart you buy! We found that we really liked lemon sole. It's not as mushy as starry or arrowtooth IMHO. I might head down that way later this week and hopefully the salmon fishing will pickup around the 15th.

The Kasilof River has the highest sockeye escapement count to date since the recording started in 1978. Not sure how you go about sport fishing for reds on the main river ..... but there are people on both sides of the Kasilof bridge doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by cormit View Post
    The Kasilof River has the highest sockeye escapement count to date since the recording started in 1978. Not sure how you go about sport fishing for reds on the main river ..... but there are people on both sides of the Kasilof bridge doing it.
    Kasilof is a good option when the comm nets aren't out. They have the ability to impact that river greatly. Take a look at the run counts, it goes from 10-20k down to almost nothing after the openings. We did hit it at the right time a week or so ago and caught a good amount of fish. If you hit it on the right day its great.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Kasilof is a good option when the comm nets aren't out. They have the ability to impact that river greatly. Take a look at the run counts, it goes from 10-20k down to almost nothing after the openings. We did hit it at the right time a week or so ago and caught a good amount of fish. If you hit it on the right day its great.

There's 180,00 past the counter right now ...... they got past the nets. Too much worry about set nets fishing or not. Folks should just go fishing.

There's 180,00 past the counter right now ...... they got past the nets. Too much worry about set nets fishing or not. Folks should just go fishing.
    You are right some do get past the nets. But its very easy to look at the counts and tell when they are out. The counter goes from 10k or so to less than 2k. When your fishing in an area of water that potentially has 2k fish swimming by and one that potentially has 10k fish swimming by which day is gonna be better? I can tell you from experience I've fished on several days and the ones when the nets were'nt out the night prior were far better on the Kasilof.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    You are right some do get past the nets. But its very easy to look at the counts and tell when they are out. The counter goes from 10k or so to less than 2k. When your fishing in an area of water that potentially has 2k fish swimming by and one that potentially has 10k fish swimming by which day is gonna be better? I can tell you from experience I've fished on several days and the ones when the nets were'nt out the night prior were far better on the Kasilof.
    Fish enter the Kasilof and Kenai in waves. If you're on the river when a wave of fish comes in .... it won't make a bit of difference if commercial nets are in the water or not. When large schools charge the river ...... they really can't be stopped. 90% of the complaints about nets blocking the river come at a time when there are no fish entering the river ... and the set nets aren't catching them either. A lot of folks that come to dip net and find slow fishing ... are told by someone that the commercial nets are in the water .... and that is why there are no fish. You'd be surprised how little some dip netters and hook and line fishermen now about returning salmon patterns.

In the Kenai, the sonar site is almost 9 miles up river ..... and fish density at that point has little to do with any fishing activity happening in the Inlet. Don't believe that ? ..... look at last years high and low counter days ... and the set nets were closed all summer.

While you're at it, have look at daily count info from 1989. East side set netters and in river sport fishermen fished almost around the clock ..... all summer long .... and couldn't stop or even slow down the rate of escapement into the Kenai.

Go ahead and blame it on the nets if you like though ... it keeps the sport/commercial hate fires burning ..... and makes the Board of Fish hearing more contentious than productive ... sort of like the Legislature.

Go ahead and blame it on the nets if you like though ... it keeps the sport/commercial hate fires burning ..... and makes the Board of Fish hearing more contentious than productive ... sort of like the Legislature.
    Its simple logic that the nets in the water are going to result in less fish up river, I don't believe C6 said anything anti-commfish in his post. He's simply pointing out to the OP that timing his fishing with days the nets are NOT in the water MAY maximize his success. Seems your fanning the very flames you seem to dislike?

I have a limited amount of time to fish and I most certainly aim for days the nets are dry, not because I hate commercial fishermen, but because I want to maximize MY time. Nothing is better for the people of the Kenai than fish for everyone and I don't think there will be any trouble with that this year.

Not intending to fan any flames ..... just saying ..... run timing is more important than whether or not nets are in the water. Planning your fishing time for when the nets are out of the water isn't the way to maximize successful fishing. When the word is out that fish are pouring into the river .... then go fishing ..... is a more successful strategy ...... that's all i'm saying.

Im not blaming or pointing fingers at comm fishing in any way. I completely understand how the fish enter the river in waves. Its not difficult to tell by looking back at run history. But the set netters and comm fleet take fish out of the water that could have possibly pushed up. Those fish won't be present and the numbers will be reflected in the counter. I know they can't stop em all or else the counter would simply read zero while they were out there. My main point would be that they can slow the fishing down on a smaller river like the kasilof for us rod and reel guys.

Dont take this the wrong way. I don't have a personal problem with the comm fleet.

Here's a tip: Strong catches of large sockeye (Kenai reds) being caught on today's flood on clam Gulch set net sites with in half mile. This will be the first big blast that hits the river ..... likely tomorrow or Friday. Those that can make it to the Kenai will most likely see red hot fishing. Today was opening day for Kenai dip-netting ..... and crowds were light. People were getting fish ok ..... but they weren't slamming them ... but they will in the next day or so. Good dippin'.

Here's a tip: Strong catches of large sockeye (Kenai reds) being caught on today's flood on clam Gulch set net sites with in half mile. This will be the first big blast that hits the river ..... likely tomorrow or Friday. Those that can make it to the Kenai will most likely see red hot fishing. Today was opening day for Kenai dip-netting ..... and crowds were light. People were getting fish ok ..... but they weren't slamming them ... but they will in the next day or so. Good dippin'.
    Yeah that first push is headed in. If your on the first 15 miles of river or so tomorrow or the next day you will probably be in for a treat.

Last week I made it a point to whittle away at what I think is one of the greatest myths about dip-netting sockeye on the Kenai and Kasilof Rivers ...... a myth that is simply is not true. The myth being that you will likely have better success dip netting sockeye on days that the set netters are not fishing.

It is my general position that when large numbers of sockeye enter either of the rivers, like yesterdays 95,000 up the Kenai, that it will make no noticeable difference in the dip net catch rate .......whether the set nets are in the water or not. I still stand by that position.

There is, however, one exception. The Kasilof River has a commercial fishing area called "the Kasilof River Special Harvest Area". This area has the same area description as the "Kasilof River Personal Use Area." This is 600 feet inside the regular set net area (north and south), and from the mean high water mark out to 600 feet for set nets and out to a mile and a half for drifters, basically everything around the entrance to the river mouth and all the way out to a mile and a half . This is sometimes called the "Kasilof River terminus fishery."

This area has not been used since 2007. When used, this area fills with nets ..... both set and drift nets .... and virtually stops everything from going into the Kasilof River ..... including Kasilof River king salmon. Late run Kasilof Kings are a very unique run of kings that spawn in the upper Kasilof River (Slack Water). These kings are often quite large ..... and very little is known about this stock.

The Kasilof sockeye escapement has now passed 300,000 and ADF&G has announced an opening tomorrow, July 16, of the "Kasilof River Special Harvest Area." Most commercial fishermen would be happy if this area never got used again ..... it is an indiscriminate, destructive fishery ..... but, if it is open ..... they will come. I know from my own experience that many Kenai kings will be harvested here too.

Kasilof River dip netting has been very good ...... and people are there by the hundreds getting their winter fish. At 5am tomorrow morning that will come to an end. All of these gear types will be on top of each other ..... and tempers will fly. Dip netters will be furious when the commercial nets block off the river ..... and they will have a right to be angry.

As a long time commercial fisherman myself, (retired now) I cannot imagine what the Dept. is thinking by opening sensitive this area. People should call F&G, the Commissioner of F&G Cora Campbell, and even the Governors office and demand they shut this area down immediately. Steps should also be taken at the up-comming Board of Fish hearings in February ..... to make this regulatory area unavailable for the Dept. to use ...... ever.

Last week I made it a point to whittle away at what I think is one of the greatest myths about dip-netting sockeye on the Kenai and Kasilof Rivers ...... a myth that is simply is not true. The myth being that you will likely have better success dip netting sockeye on days that the set netters are not fishing.

It is my general position that when large numbers of sockeye enter either of the rivers, like yesterdays 95,000 up the Kenai, that it will make no noticeable difference in the dip net catch rate .......whether the set nets are in the water or not. I still stand by that position.

There is, however, one exception. The Kasilof River has a commercial fishing area called "the Kasilof River Special Harvest Area". This area has the same area description as the "Kasilof River Personal Use Area." This is 600 feet inside the regular set net area (north and south), and from the mean high water mark out to 600 feet for set nets and out to a mile and a half for drifters, basically everything around the entrance to the river mouth and all the way out to a mile and a half . This is sometimes called the "Kasilof River terminus fishery."

This area has not been used since 2007. When used, this area fills with nets ..... both set and drift nets .... and virtually stops everything from going into the Kasilof River ..... including Kasilof River king salmon. Late run Kasilof Kings are a very unique run of kings that spawn in the upper Kasilof River (Slack Water). These kings are often quite large ..... and very little is known about this stock.

The Kasilof sockeye escapement has now passed 300,000 and ADF&G has announced an opening tomorrow, July 16, of the "Kasilof River Special Harvest Area." Most commercial fishermen would be happy if this area never got used again ..... it is an indiscriminate, destructive fishery ..... but, if it is open ..... they will come. I know from my own experience that many Kenai kings will be harvested here too.

Kasilof River dip netting has been very good ...... and people are there by the hundreds getting their winter fish. At 5am tomorrow morning that will come to an end. All of these gear types will be on top of each other ..... and tempers will fly. Dip netters will be furious when the commercial nets block off the river ..... and they will have a right to be angry.

As a long time commercial fisherman myself, (retired now) I cannot imagine what the Dept. is thinking by opening sensitive this area. People should call F&G, the Commissioner of F&G Cora Campbell, and even the Governors office and demand they shut this area down immediately. Steps should also be taken at the up-comming Board of Fish hearings in February ..... to make this regulatory area unavailable for the Dept. to use ...... ever.
    Interesting info, I might have to drive down and take a look, maybe get some new Youtube fodder!

That is a nice brown bear on the main page of AOD, but i did notice a rub mark on his hind end

Quote Originally Posted by Eatsleepfish View Post
    Would going to the spit be a good option right now? -ESF
    Several people pulling them in at the spit on Monday between Lands End and the harbor.