Thread: Lighweight Trekking poles

Default Lighweight Trekking poles

Im in the need of some new lightweight trekking poles for sheep hunting and was wondering if anyone had some advise or reviews on a good pair to get?

Thanks!!!

How light do you feel you need and is weight your number one consideration?

I was just thinking about something that can collapse fairly small for the back of the cub and as light as possible but of course strong ya know. Lighter the better in the mountains.

I bought a pair of Black Diamond - Contour Elliptic Shock poles 5 years ago and have used them on multiple trips. They have worked flawlessly for me, and I'm sure I'll get several more trips out of them. We access our camp in Super Cub and the 3-section poles are more than adequate for compactness. I should add....the best ultralight poles are useless if they break. Buy strong...and then light.

Don't worry about fitting in the back of the cub. I take my 5.5 ft spruce stick, and it fits just fine. A non-issue there.

While I don't have any advice on a particular model, I would vote for strength over weight. I've had a couple of UL trekking poles break on me in awkward situations.

Haven't broken a spruce stick yet, so went back to that. Otherwise, I've heard lots of recommendations for Black Diamond poles.

Yk

I am 280lbs by the time I finish lacing up my boots and have carried 120lb packin more than a few occasions. That's 400lbs on the hoof and my BD contour elliptical poles have never slipped or bent in the 6 years I have owned them.

I'll echo the strong-over-light advice.

Trekking poles come in a pretty broad selection in terms of quality and price. The cheapest ones are more likely to fail when needed most and the highest priced ones are for people with more money than sense (IMO).

I have a pair of Leki "Makalu". They're a lower mid-range pole. No anti-shock, no cosmic ergo handle, no built in compass, or latte machine, or hidden sword....

They are reasonably light (about a pound each), strong, and simple. About $65
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I also use Black Diamonds. I got them because I prefer the "Flick-lock" or whatever they call it to the twist style lock of other brands. They have never slipped even a little bit on a hunt. Mine are the two-piece rather than three-piece telescoping ones. They don't collapse down as much but it's never been a problem for me. If your pack frame will fit, the two-piece poles will fit...and are arguably stronger. I think I got mine for $90 at Beaver Sports in Fairbanks back in '08.

Another Black Diamond (with flick lock) fan here...never leave home without them :-) The spring loaded ones are not worth the extra weight IMHO. That said, the small extra weight of the poles are worth their weight in gold IMHO just for adding that stability plus taking 90% of the pressure off my knees when going down hill!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am 280lbs by the time I finish lacing up my boots and have carried 120lb packin more than a few occasions. That's 400lbs on the hoof and my BD contour elliptical poles have never slipped or bent in the 6 years I have owned them.
    Cool. I'll have to look into getting these. I like how you can just click on the link.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Good ole skim links putting ads in my posts for me! At least they got close on the product. Those poles definitely went up a few bucks from when I bought mine...

As stated, Black Diamond flick-locks are rock solid. After 5-6 years of hard use, I finally broke a BD pole while glisading down a snow shoot. My poles were from before they had the flick lock at both of the telescoping points. I broke the lower, non flick-lock, connection and toasted the pole. Been using my wife's BD poles since but will be picking up a new pair for myself very soon. I was at REI recently giving all the poles a run through. Check out the BD Compact Contour Elliptic. The are an ounce or two lighter and compress a few inches shorter than the standard model. For me I also like the handles a little better than the standard model. When I'm hiking I'm constantly adjusting my hand position depending on whether I'm going up, down, flat ground and the compact model's handle fit this varied grip better. The Contour Elliptical is also stiffer laterally than any of the round shaft poles.

Leki has some very nice poles. I'm personally just not a big fan of the grips.

Anti-shock poles are a sales gimmick. The ground is always plenty soft to absorb any shock and if I'm planting my poles in the rocks the last thing I want is give.

For strength and light weight, consider carbon fiber poles over aluminum. I've bent a lot of aluminum poles over the years, not so much with the CF. A little pricier initial investment but cheaper over the long run. I've bought fewer arrows since I switched to CF too. I prefer the flick lock too. Quicker to adjust on the fly and never had a slip (same for flick locks on spotting scope tripods). I think trekking poles are mandatory for safety and two is better than one.