Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady suspends bullet making for 2013

Default Hornady suspends bullet making for 2013

I even checked several websites on avaiblity and no dice. I will upload the fax in a bit but it doesnt look good.
    Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Yeah, I saw this on another site, and not good if it's true. I need some 162gr AMAX bullets if anyone knows where there is some available.

http://www.hornady.com/support/availability

From Hornady's site... Ron, I can't see your attachment- can you upload it here?
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

It is an 11 page fax. Look and talk to midwayusa. Their status changed about the same time the fax was sent.I will post the pdf as soon as I have space.

Here is another site: http://www.shooting.com.au/forum/ind...oduction-list/

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

This from the Hornady site sums it up nicely for me:

And remember, when it comes to Hornady Manufacturing, if you donít hear it from us, please donít believe it.

I would believe it but i called midway. They went from expected shipment in august to unavaible on the same day the fax was sent.

Ron

Edwin Hubble

FYI - that forum link landed a pretty nasty virus on my computer, make sure your updated on your antivirus if you go there. Avast didn't catch it for me.

I say that is misinformation, read here; http://www.hornady.com/support/availability

Thanks for that link 338! Breathe a little easier now...was wondering what the heck!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/150...acturing_.html

Did any of you check any other sources other then Hornady? Midway had now put on Temperately Unavailable on most of their Hornady bullets. When I called they had no idea when they would get a new shipment, unlike last month when they were giving out dates.

Looks like a good business decision to me. They will probably concentrate on there best sellers and higher profit margin stuff and turn out more of them. Those of you who choose to shoot the odd calibers or less popular will just have to make do.

There is a post on another forum from a guy who says he called them this AM and they confirmed the letter this AM. They told him they planned on focusing on the most popular bullets and reduce machine change over time to increase production.

Maybe I should buy some stock.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Update from the horse's mouth: LINK

Not as bad as the gossip, but present demand is such that no one can keep production in step with orders without prioritizing.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Well, I guess us 6.5 and 9.3 shooters are out of luck. Funny, they're keeping 505 ammo in production, good news for the few 505 Jeffery and 505 Gibbs African dangerous game shooters! No big deal really. Bullets aren't a problem these days, powder and primer are the most difficult component that I have getting.

Also saw they're keeping .30 Mauser in production. Who the heck shoots that? Glad they are prioritizing. Now if we can get a couple of shiploads of .22LR up here. It is crazy when the guy next to me on the firing line is getting his scope zeroed in using Winchester Fail Safe's because that's all he can find on the shelf. Yike$$.

Since I read this rumor yesterday, I stopped in at my local gun component supplier last night but alas, they didnt have any Hornady bullets that I needed anyway...and basically havent for a long time. So I guess since they rarely have any hornady bullets on the shelf in popular calibers, the fact that they are suspending production of those bullets is fairly moot...

I dont understand why they would suspend basically ALL of their 224 cal bullets and alot of the 308 cals....those would seem to be their biggest sellers. I wish they'd have made a list of what they WILL BE MAKING instead of the opposite...

They want to save some buyers in the end. They wouldnt have an extensive catalog if no one bought them. This is a rant coming. .. US businesses are sitting on 8 trillion dollars of capital...why not by more machines,equipment and hire more people. I am to the point where I wont buy from them. First fax certain people, then cover up for one week, wait for the backlash then come clean.... what type of sheep do they take us for?

Ron

Edwin Hubble

[QUOTE= .... what type of sheep do they take us for?

Ron[/QUOTE]

The type that will quickly scarf up their chosen Hornady bullet as soon as it's back in production.....I think we should all take up archery.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Since I read this rumor yesterday, I stopped in at my local gun component supplier last night but alas, they didnt have any Hornady bullets that I needed anyway...and basically havent for a long time. So I guess since they rarely have any hornady bullets on the shelf in popular calibers, the fact that they are suspending production of those bullets is fairly moot...

I dont understand why they would suspend basically ALL of their 224 cal bullets and alot of the 308 cals....those would seem to be their biggest sellers. I wish they'd have made a list of what they WILL BE MAKING instead of the opposite...
    I think you mis-read, that is a list of what they ARE going to produce in 2013.

I'm almost positive that the list I saw was 9 or 10 pages of bullets that were NOT going to be produced in 2013. If I am mistaken, that would be good, and not all that unusual...

If you guys are talking about this list ( http://www.hornady.com/support/avail...roduction-list ) I believe that is the list of products that they will continue to make.

I saw qute a few of what I would consider "odd ball" ammo on that list ( 224 for example).

What bothers me about this is the precedent it sets. Agreed that filling the highest demand area is a basic principle of capitalism and business school 101, but, the way things are going, I don't think it will take long for the self defense and para military firearms market to far eclipse the hunting market. So, if this idea catches on and/or continues, then good luck hunting moose with a 9mm or 223 because that's all they'll be making because that's where the highest demand is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast