Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't know what to title this.....

Default I don't know what to title this.....

Friday, while kicked backed enjoying some fog and rain, I had two boats pull up to me and ask for help.

First asked me where they were at. Yup, can you tell us where we are at? I asked them if they had charts. He showed me his paper chart and I told him where he was in relation to the chart as he was 10 miles off the map. He took off and a mile or so later headed in the direction of some rocks, I tried to hail him on the radio and then watched him in the binocs until he was clear.

A few hours later the second boat pulls up to me as I was pulling shrimp pots. They asked me where Whittier was. I asked them if they had charts. He said just this crappy one from the tunnel and shows me the map brochure they hand out when you go through the tunnel. I gave him distances and directions to make it to Whittier. We were 35ish miles out at this point.

So I don't know what to title this other than to say, please please don't head out into the salt without being prepared. It's one thing to put yourself in danger but where there are several other wide eyed people on the boat it's no small matter. There are a lot of rocks and dangers out there.

This morning a boat pulled past us really slow and my 8 year old daughter says "maybe they need directions".

:-)
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Not cool at all..been ask a few times iver the years as well. Always makes me winder what in the hell they are thinking heading out with a min a GPS. Even a handheld would suffice.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

How about "Unprepared and Lost in Alaska"...
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Dazed and Confused, or perhaps, Clueless and Ignorant!

How about Darwin Lives!

I have been having issues with my chartplotter in my boat. No AK maps, then I purchase a spendy card they swear will work. Pop it in and still nothing. I am guilty of going out without electronics this year.
    The difference is I had my detailed maps and I ran off paper. Still doesnt help me one bit, if I can not to see out a distance for reference points.
    I also did not venture out past Perry Island due to the concern of fog shutting me down.
    It is difficult to convince yourself to head out without modern day electronics any more. Well for me at least.

I am speechless, I bought my boat in January and had all the charts for places I might go by February. I have a backup GPS on my dash recording a track so at worst I just follow it backwards to get home. I have been considering buying a older used chartplotter just to set up as a backup... I am not sure how I would reply to someone who asked me where they were.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I have been considering buying a older used chartplotter just to set up as a backup....
    I just bought the blue charts for my handheld GPS. I keep that and a handheld VHF in a waterproof case. Nice to have them for double duty away from the boat. A couple of years back I was on a friend's boat when heavy fog closed in and we were a long ways from home. And of course his GPS went TU at exactly that moment. For some reason I had slipped the case with those two into my bag before starting the trip. Saved the day and sent him running to the store for blue charts for his own handheld.

My hand held is a garmin Etrex... the original one, no maps just a line on the screen. I should look and see if I can get marine maps from my wifes Delorme PN60, thanks for making me think of that.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Dunno about Delorme, but I have a couple of generations of Garmin and have put them on both.

Come to think of it, my little Nikon Coolpix AW110 and my wife's AW100 cameras have built in GPS. No chart details like the Blue Charts, but they'd still show you where you are at least.

WOW That is crazy to see a couple people out there with no electronics or knowledge of the area. Just imagine all the others that were too proud (stupid) to not ask. PWS is a big place, but not too impossible to find your way back if you pay attention on the way out.
    So, this weekend the wife and I went out to the Chevall area and had a blast fishing. I hit my bilge pump switch and lost all power inside the cabin. Radio, GPS, Lights you name it. After tracing wires for a couple hours, we decided to run back in the fog blind. That sucked. So, I guess I can say I know how they feel. Still haven't found the culprit but got it wired for the time being. I'll trace it all Friday when I'm back in the boat.
    A handheld GPS and Charts area must on any offshore boat.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    ...and Charts area....
    s
    Roger. I keep two set folded in ziploc bags and in separate locations on the boat. Don't want to be without, even if I lose one.

Don't forget to carry FRESH spare batteries for your hand held GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    WOW That is crazy to see a couple people out there with no electronics or knowledge of the area. Just imagine all the others that were too proud (stupid) to not ask. PWS is a big place, but not too impossible to find your way back if you pay attention on the way out.
    So, this weekend the wife and I went out to the Chevall area and had a blast fishing. I hit my bilge pump switch and lost all power inside the cabin. Radio, GPS, Lights you name it. After tracing wires for a couple hours, we decided to run back in the fog blind. That sucked. So, I guess I can say I know how they feel. Still haven't found the culprit but got it wired for the time being. I'll trace it all Friday when I'm back in the boat.
    A handheld GPS and Charts area must on any offshore boat.
    Rob, I bet the wiring to your pump is the problem and it popped the main fuse/circuit breaker in your panel.

At 35 miles out, even a dumb old compass would get a person close. Electronics are a very cool way to navigate, but sooner or later every one of those units will go belly up, without exception.

Myself, I'd prefer to outlive my GPS and be the boy scout instead.

Yeah, so the whole thing has me even reevaluating my backup plan and if my Laptop with Charts is even a sufficient backup.

What really just blew me away was that it was a low cloud foggy day and these guys were out running around without even a primary navigation system. Even with paper charts if the one guy would of had a compass he would have known he was going in the wrong direction. This day and age paper and compass isn't the most preferred way but it still works if paired together. The other guy didn't even have the real paper charts.

Really was just mind boggling to me. I can see how they were lost, you couldn't hardly see any land and they are out running through the deep blue... I was running on radar....
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I spent some time looking on Ebay for a backup chart plotter, just a basic small screen with a GPS antenna, seems like a guy should be prepared.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Yeah, so the whole thing has me even reevaluating my backup plan and if my Laptop with Charts is even a sufficient backup.

What really just blew me away was that it was a low cloud foggy day and these guys were out running around without even a primary navigation system. Even with paper charts if the one guy would of had a compass he would have known he was going in the wrong direction. This day and age paper and compass isn't the most preferred way but it still works if paired together. The other guy didn't even have the real paper charts.

Really was just mind boggling to me. I can see how they were lost, you couldn't hardly see any land and they are out running through the deep blue... I was running on radar....
    Well with any luck, perhaps one or both learned something because of the experience.

I had a similar experience several years ago. A guy in a jet boat pulls up to me in Cochrane while pulling pots in the fog. Asks me where he is. I told him and he didn't eve know there was a Cochrane Bay. He was looking for Pigot Point and pointed east towards Perry. I drew him a map based off my paper charts and off he went. What bugged me the most was he had a woman and young boy on board and no idea where he was going. I warned him to be careful and stick close to shore so he could follow the map but off he went in the wrong direction again.

Friday, while kicked backed enjoying some fog and rain, I had two boats pull up to me and ask for help.

First asked me where they were at. Yup, can you tell us where we are at? I asked them if they had charts. He showed me his paper chart and I told him where he was in relation to the chart as he was 10 miles off the map. He took off and a mile or so later headed in the direction of some rocks, I tried to hail him on the radio and then watched him in the binocs until he was clear.

A few hours later the second boat pulls up to me as I was pulling shrimp pots. They asked me where Whittier was. I asked them if they had charts. He said just this crappy one from the tunnel and shows me the map brochure they hand out when you go through the tunnel. I gave him distances and directions to make it to Whittier. We were 35ish miles out at this point.

So I don't know what to title this other than to say, please please don't head out into the salt without being prepared. It's one thing to put yourself in danger but where there are several other wide eyed people on the boat it's no small matter. There are a lot of rocks and dangers out there.

This morning a boat pulled past us really slow and my 8 year old daughter says "maybe they need directions".

:-)
    These days there's lots of people with money to buy "toys", but lacking any degree of common sense. If a person can't demonstrate the basic ability to navigate with chart or map and compass, said person shouldn't be allowed on the water nor in the woods. JMHO.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast