Thread: Poe and decision sheen....

Default Poe and decision sheen....

So how did they let it get away from them into decision. Is the tender company getting the bill, and how does someone put a
    six six foot boat into the rocks?

I saw the sheen tonight headed in but missed the cause. What happened?
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

a 66 foot tender got into the rocks and lost some fuel. It seemed like a CF on the radio and after about 3 hours the diesel spread from poe out to decision. I think that they were more worried about saving the 100,000 pounds of salmon than the fuel.

http://coastguardnews.com/coast-guar...ka/2013/07/06/ There is another boat on a beach on Culross Island somewhere... its the 65 ft boat. The one that puked fuel in Passage Canal was 100+
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Oh look, another tender runs aground in Passage Canal.. http://www.ktuu.com/news/ktuu-fish-t...,3163960.story

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Contained My ***** we passed through there saturday night and there was a slick a few miles long and getting worse. To bad some good shrimping in that area.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

Yeah same here. We passed through that area mid day on Saturday and ran through the sheen off and on from Decision Point to the Whittier Harbor. If that's contained I'd had to see un-contained.

The really sad part is that it was 2 hours time passed (I was on my way out to College and listening to the whole deal go down). When I was passing by decision we smelled fuel and I stopped to see what was leaking on my boat.....it was that strong of smell - then we determined it was diesel smell and not gasoline. Right at that time we heard them talking about anchoring a boom to shore to contain the spill, and the idiot coast guard personnel on the radio at Sector Anchorage could not understand what the guy was doing - he twice asked what boat was anchoring in the area. They had no patrols to keep private boats from cruising through and past the "sheen". An hour later still cruising up into college we heard the coast guard covering their asses telling all boaters that a "sheen" had been reported by decision point and that all boaters should transit the area with care. Okay -that is 2 hours that it took the waves to spread the sheen all the away across passage canal. The recovery boat that the vessel owner hired was more worried about floating the vessel at high tide so that they could get their fish back to Port (heard him say they were worried about getting 100K pounds of fish back to port) - well what about the friggin booms to stop then soak up the 500 gallons of diesel they spilled. I for one am more than a bit pizzed about the whole deal. How do you run a boat that big into the rocks - ain't like the captain was fishing - he was driving to Port.....

It was explained in another thread about these boats that the tender guys work non-stop and are less than rested. Most of the time when this stuff happens the guy on watch has fallen asleep at the wheel..

So two boats have hit rocks and spilled fuel in Passage in the last few days and there is one aground on Culross Island that hit a rock and took on water. I wonder how we get some update on the condition of the boats.. maybe the coast guard website has some info.