Thread: Is it legal to hunt another persons bait site?

Default Is it legal to hunt another persons bait site?

New to hunting in Alaska, used to Couse Whitetail hunting in Arizona. I was curious if it is common to allow people to pay to hunt on your already established bait site? I am really wanting to take a black bear with my bow but did not want to fully get into baiting. Not sure of the legal aspect but if its allowed I would be willing to pay to hunt a bait site. I understand there are outfitters that will offer this but I don't need an outfitter, just permission to hunt a bait site and I can do the rest. I would also be willing to help with bait, maintenance etc... I'm stationed at Ft Richardson, have my Alaska bow hunters certification card and current license. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks. Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's legal to hunt someone's site if you have permission buy unless they are a registered guide they can not accept any type of compensation for allowing you to do it. Most baiting is done for the year but get above treeline in the fall look for berries and you will find bears

Sent while hiding from the boss

B4guy, were you stationed at Ft. Huachuca in AZ? Couse hunting isn't for the faint of heart! Its called the poor mans sheep hunt for a reason. I'm from Tucson.

As far as bait stations, baiting is over but in the future make sure you don't offer money for using the site because it may spook them away from letting you because its illegal

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    It's legal to hunt someone's site if you have permission buy unless they are a registered guide they can not accept any type of compensation for allowing you to do it. Most baiting is done for the year but get above treeline in the fall look for berries and you will find bears

0321Tony, thank you for your advice. I have top notch glassing equipment and can spend hours behind glass looking for animals. Just due to the convenience of being close to home I was thinking the 14 GMU's would be where I would try. Do these areas also have these berries that the bears go after and when does that normally start happening?

Quote Originally Posted by farmerman View Post
    B4guy, were you stationed at Ft. Huachuca in AZ? Couse hunting isn't for the faint of heart! Its called the poor mans sheep hunt for a reason. I'm from Tucson.

As far as bait stations, baiting is over but in the future make sure you don't offer money for using the site because it may spook them away from letting you because its illegal

I was born and raised in Tucson, spent 15 years hunting the grey ghost before joining the army. My older brother is a guide down there still.

I lived in Tucson for 13 years. I moved out in 2010. I lived right near Davis-Monthan for a long while. Welcome to alaska! I've been here for a year and love every moment of it

Quote Originally Posted by farmerman View Post
    I lived in Tucson for 13 years. I moved out in 2010. I lived right near Davis-Monthan for a long while. Welcome to alaska! I've been here for a year and love every moment of it

I came back from deployment and submitted applications for sheep, moose, bear, caribou and deer and got drawn for nothing, is that normal? Luck of the draw I suppose. I got all the general season harvest tickets but will be attempting those hunts with what little information I can find online.

Quote Originally Posted by B4guy View Post
    0321Tony, thank you for your advice. I have top notch glassing equipment and can spend hours behind glass looking for animals. Just due to the convenience of being close to home I was thinking the 14 GMU's would be where I would try. Do these areas also have these berries that the bears go after and when does that normally start happening?

They are always there but the problem is the vegetation is tall and makes it harder to spot them. A lot move down this time of year and find other food sources fish etc. I usually don't start getting into the mountains after them till after moose season until it snows. They have good hides and are good eating then if they are not eating salmon. I mostly hunt the peninsula so it's not too far from you and there is some really good hunting this way if you are willing to hike after them. They start hitting the berries really hard in the fall before they go to sleep and just about anywhere above treeline has berries. What kind of equipment do you have? Boat, canoe, quad etc.. Even a canoe can help out. Send me a pm and I can give you more info

If you do hunt someones bait site(with permission of course) your license number must be on the sign posted at their bait site.
    Like others have said lots of opportunities for bears in AK besides baiting.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

@0321Tony- I can't PM yet since still being pretty new to the forums. But I would be willing to put my email on here if you wouldn't mind dropping me an email and I can learn whatever information your willing to pass on to me. As far as the additional equipment goes, I just have a Truck, I planned on renting any quads, boats or sleds from the outdoor recreation center on post. They even rent out meant grinders and wrapping paper if you wanted to do your own processing.

I've heard the debate about fish fed salmon being edible or not but never tasted one. Is it truly that bad? My coworkers stand on both sides of the fence.

Don't mean to thread Jack, just 0321Tony got me thinking about it