Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fund Raising for Trail Repair

Exclamation Fund Raising for Trail Repair

We are raising funds to purchase materials for the Purinton Creek Trail swamp crossing and are looking to the user community and off-road clubs for donations. We have raised about 25k and need 10k more. Sounds daunting I know. It can be done. Our last big fund raising effort netted 85k for the Plumley-Maud Trail. The Mat-Su Trails Council in an incorporated non-profit so your contributions are tax deductible.

This won't be something just thrown together with whatever we can find. It will be a work of art! Seriously tho. It will be built to take abuse and last many years. Something that we can be proud of. The crossing is 160' long and will be constructed using over 1000lf of 6x12s and over 2000lf 4x12s plus hundreds and hundreds of bolts.

Here is a summary from the material takeoff
    6x12x20' Stringers 27
    6x12x10' Mud Sills 68
    4x12x10' Joiners 21
    4x12x10' Deck 180
    4x12x10' End caps 2
    4x4x20' Curb Rail 18
    Timber Bolt 5/8x14 Mud Sills 880
    Timber Bolt 5/8x12 Curb Rail 340
    Timber Bolt 5/8x12 Joiner Plates 840
    5/8 Nuts & Washers 2060
    Lag Bolt 5/8x6 Anchor Plates 288
    Lag Bolt 5/8x10 Anchor Plates 504
    Anchor plates Stringer to Sill 132

We'd like to count on the clubs for 1000 each and 100 from individuals. So what do you say, will you donate?

Send your donations to:

Mat-Su Trails Council Inc.
    Purinton Creek Trail
    P.O. Box 2356
    Palmer, Alaska

OR Via Paypal

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=VGYBL79F5LHGW

Interesting - will consider it.

We met someone on the trail a few days ago who claimed they have an initiative to reinstate the historical easement and access point at the creek.

Of course if that were to occur, that would bypass the swamp entirely. Since that's currently all subdivided private property, do you know if there is any merit to that??

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post

We met someone on the trail a few days ago who claimed they have an initiative to reinstate the historical easement and access point at the creek.

Of course if that were to occur, that would bypass the swamp entirely. Since that's currently all subdivided private property, do you know if there is any merit to that??

Yes there is an effort to open one of the old trails, there were three, thru the old Shagelok homestead. It will probably come down to the State suing the private property owner. Pretty much everyone we've talked to, including the Legislature who provided the bulk of the funding for the project, think the money is better spent fixing the 'new' route.

Our organization put in the new trail and worked w/DOT to have the parking lot built knowing that there were potential legal issues with the old trail. We have been trying to get funding for the swamp crossing since 2003.

Who will do the actual building of this crossing? Will you be using contractors or volunteer labor? Wouldn't it be easier to lay down a gravel pathway with a culvert under it? How much money are you getting from the Alaska ATV Club? They have been supposedly making money off pull-tabs just for this purpose for years now.

Hauling gravel is not practical. Getting lumber in there will be much easier. The locals used to put slabs from the sawmill in there, but it doesnt stay on top for long. I wonder how deep that mud hole is...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in_AK View Post
    Who will do the actual building of this crossing? Will you be using contractors or volunteer labor? Wouldn't it be easier to lay down a gravel pathway with a culvert under it? How much money are you getting from the Alaska ATV Club? They have been supposedly making money off pull-tabs just for this purpose for years now.
    Volunteers. Gravel, in the old days when you could mine it on site yes. ATV club, don't know yet. The question to you, are you going to donate?

I would think that if you could get a big pile of gravel dumped at the parking lot with a front end loader you could get many volunteer ATVers with trailers and dump bed SxS to haul the gravel up to the swamp. The first loads could be dumped at some rutted spots on the trail to improve the trail up to the swamp. I would be happy to volunteer my time to help out, just as I did at Plumley.

We really appreciate the help at Plumley. Different project, different requirements, agencies, permits, etc. Did you know that the bulk of materials were hauled w/heavy equipment? Several hundred yards. I would prefer gravel, mined on site. The Purinton crossing would require 500-700 yards, even then we don't know if it would be enough because a lot would sink.

In 10 years we have invested untold hours in getting this project this far. The time for discussing requirements and alternatives has passed. If you want to show up when there is field work to be done ok, there is nothing wrong with that. It takes everyone to get these projects done. If you want to get in on the design and alternatives, come to the meetings. We are busy and have two other ATV/OHV projects, $80k, in progress. The point is, we do our homework to get the best possible solution given the people and agencies involved.

Over the last five years we have managed to attract and spend about 100k a year on motorized trails. This is the first time we have gone to the user community for cash support. This project is at the stage it needs money and we are asking you for a small contribution, less than the cost of one tank of fuel for your truck.

I would think that if you could get a big pile of gravel dumped at the parking lot with a front end loader you could get many volunteer ATVers with trailers and dump bed SxS to haul the gravel up to the swamp. The first loads could be dumped at some rutted spots on the trail to improve the trail up to the swamp. I would be happy to volunteer my time to help out, just as I did at Plumley.

Wow, that adds up to 500K spent on motorized trails ! I sure wish I could know where all those improvements were made. Care to give us a short list? I would like to go see and ride those trails.

Wow, that adds up to 500K spent on motorized trails ! I sure wish I could know where all those improvements were made. Care to give us a short list? I would like to go see and ride those trails.
    You math skills are pretty good. Our next meeting is tomorrow, Monday at 7pm, 1964 S Cotten Dr, big shop on left

I drive by the Purinton Creek Trailhead many times a summer and see the area full of empty atv trailers constantly. I'd think there would be more people willing to pitch in to keep these trails open. If we don't repair it, we just give others a better argument for restricting it. I've donated some money and I have never used this trail. I know about it though because I frequent a different trail a few miles down the highway.

I hope as these new improvements happen that they are making the crossings wide enough for the new side x side's that are becoming more and more popular.

Rich in Ak if you ride the trail from Hatchers to Jonesville/Sutton I believe that is one area that monies were spent to put bridges in to cross some of the creeks. Problem is they are narrow and they can handle most ATV's and I know of at least one crossing where a sxs went over the side and into the creek. The other problem is the big trucks still go thru the area..........So building a crossing to help the environment at times is pretty pointless as those that are unable to use the bridge just make their own way around.

Attachment 71982
    If you are reading this and this is your rig. I like it!!!

MSTC
    I will donate as long as the crossing is going to be built at least 70" wide, hopefully a fully 72" would be real nice. If not just like alot of the other areas with improvements "They are no benefit to me". With my progressive disability ATV riding is giving way to riding in the SXS more and more.

Thanx Dupont!

Yes the crossing will accommodate SxS and full size OHVs, 100" between the curbs, basically vehicles up to the GAU, 10k#.

We assisted with the Wasilla watershed bridges. Unfortunately they were built before in the days before SxS's.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    I hope as these new improvements happen that they are making the crossings wide enough for the new side x side's that are becoming more and more popular.

Rich in Ak if you ride the trail from Hatchers to Jonesville/Sutton I believe that is one area that monies were spent to put bridges in to cross some of the creeks. Problem is they are narrow and they can handle most ATV's and I know of at least one crossing where a sxs went over the side and into the creek. The other problem is the big trucks still go thru the area..........So building a crossing to help the environment at times is pretty pointless as those that are unable to use the bridge just make their own way around.

Attachment 71982
    If you are reading this and this is your rig. I like it!!!

MSTC
    I will donate as long as the crossing is going to be built at least 70" wide, hopefully a fully 72" would be real nice. If not just like alot of the other areas with improvements "They are no benefit to me". With my progressive disability ATV riding is giving way to riding in the SXS more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by mstc_inc View Post
    Thanx Dupont!

Yes the crossing will accommodate SxS and full size OHVs, 100" between the curbs, basically vehicles up to the GAU, 10k#.

We assisted with the Wasilla watershed bridges. Unfortunately they were built before in the days before SxS's.
    Any place I can drop my donation other then mail and paypal? Also let me know when the construction party is gonna be there. Be more then happy to help move and or build...just don't ask me to measure and cut, I sand everything to fit at home.

Yeah my house in Wasilla, 1964 S. Cotten Dr

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Any place I can drop my donation other then mail and paypal? Also let me know when the construction party is gonna be there. Be more then happy to help move and or build...just don't ask me to measure and cut, I sand everything to fit at home.

Noted.......

DNR called and asked me to come in apparently there are some problems with their plan to force access across the private property.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post

Funding update,
    $25,000 from the Legislature,
    $5,000 from Community Council,
    $2,000 from Mat-Su Trails Council,
    $500+ from OHV community,
    300 hits and $0 from ATV users.

Thanks for the update - mst (Scott, right?)

I don't know if I speak for everyone, but for me I like to put a face to the name I'm giving money too - and I assume Duponts desire to give FTF stems from that too.

I know you signed up this login almost 7 years ago, but there has not been much activity, thus your low post count. If you were to announce upcoming community PR events, etc, I think you would see your donations increase over time.

With all that said, if you're shooting to raise $35k, it sounds like you're almost there!! Well done!

Yes I'm Scott. You can find my personal posts, and some Trails Council related posts, under the handle Snowbear.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast