Thread: Dilemma

Default Dilemma

Thinking about a newer plane for teaching Float-Plane Flying

I have loved my little PA-11 90 horse for the last 9 years or so.... She is the perfect float-Plane trainer.
    Because she is so light and nimble, I am able to get into lakes that are usually reserved for big engine Super Cubs and Husky's.

But after years in a semi-salty lake and an Airport only yards from the ocean, she is starting to show the need for some heavy duty loving in a nice hangar. The problem is that here in Homer finding longer term affordable hangar space is impossible.

So I am faced with a heart wrenching decision, either:

A. Sell the Dragon-Lady and buy another affordable Cub ( maybe with a starter and lights) for seaplane instruction,,,,,,,

B. Find an out of town hangar and A&P for a long term rebuild which would put me out of business for a year.

C. Close up shop and find a new hobby job.

Selling the Dragon-Lady would be like shooting Old Yeller...

Thoughts ???
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Thinking about a newer plane for teaching Float-Plane Flying

I have loved my little PA-11 90 horse for the last 9 years or so.... She is the perfect float-Plane trainer.
    Because she is so light and nimble, I am able to get into lakes that are usually reserved for big engine Super Cubs and Husky's.

But after years in a semi-salty lake and an Airport only yards from the ocean, she is starting to show the need for some heavy duty loving in a nice hangar. The problem is that here in Homer finding longer term affordable hangar space is impossible.

So I am faced with a heart wrenching decision, either:

A. Sell the Dragon-Lady and buy another affordable Cub ( maybe with a starter and lights) for seaplane instruction,,,,,,,

B. Find an out of town hangar and A&P for a long term rebuild which would put me out of business for a year.

C. Close up shop and find a new hobby job.

Selling the Dragon-Lady would be like shooting Old Yeller...

Thoughts ???
    I thought you where moving to FL or AZ or some such place anyway?

If I can find a place worth-while in a warmer/dryer area, it would only be for two or three months in the winter. ( I have already made a couple recon trips and nothing gets me excited so far)
    That would theoretically leave time for the four month Kachemak Bay summer flying/training season.

While a starter is not really a big deal for a personal use aircraft. it becomes a little more desirable when you are spending 6-8 hours a day instructing and you have to unbuckle, crawl out and hand start the plane 5-12 times a day while trying not to whack another expensive plane our get your wings caught in the shore-line trees. According to my logs my little plane has made 3,500+ landings on floats alone.
    Sooner or later the hand propping will get me...

And yes I have even eyed a couple lower end C-180s. While I could cut the hours of flight time because of the extra speed between points, the 300% increase in fuel consumption and higher maintenance bills would make it not very attractive for lessons. Yes I could do a little more multi person flight seeing, but that was only major business concern 5 years ago. Tourism is way down in our area.

While a starter is not really a big deal for a personal use aircraft. it becomes a little more desirable when you are spending 6-8 hours a day instructing and you have to unbuckle, crawl out and hand start the plane 5-12 times a day while trying not to whack another expensive plane our get your wings caught in the shore-line trees. According to my logs my little plane has made 3,500+ landings on floats alone.
    Sooner or later the hand propping will get me...

And yes I have even eyed a couple lower end C-180s. While I could cut the hours of flight time because of the extra speed between points, the 300% increase in fuel consumption and higher maintenance bills would make it not very attractive for lessons. Yes I could do a little more multi person flight seeing, but that was only major business concern 5 years ago. Tourism is way down in our area.
    Thought of moving up to something like a Citabria Scout on floats? Reasonable performance, flaps, and thumb propping? Not a bad choice, if one can be found witnin a reasonable price range . . .

Yes that is a thought. The 8gcbc Scout with a 180 horse and a constant speed prop is OK on floats. I do not care for them on wheels compared to other planes in the same price range.

Oddly enough I have flown a lot of 7GCBC 150 horse Citabrias on wheels or skis, but never a 150 horse Citabria on floats.
    I wonder how they do ?? As long as I could stay away from an old wooden wing spar.

I keep hoping to run into a nice 172 or C-170B with a180 horse engine and a float kit. So far that combo has proven illusive and expensive. There are a couple 220 hp C-172s out there with Franklins. But the whole legal weight and balance thing gets pretty fuzzy when I ask the seller some questions. Plus some of them are so expensive that I might as well just buy another C-180.

Some lakes I use are rather short with tall trees or solid granite on the ends.

Trees, like some friends, should be kept at arm's length. Solid granite should be avoided at all costs . . .

PA-12 for sale on alaska list flaps PA 18 this and that 35 grand. Might b worth a look at.

FP: I fly a Cessna 172 180hp on Aqua floats. The plane is a great trainer, but the Aqua floats are pretty draggy. You won't be able to go to half the lakes you like to do training in. I think if it was on a set of EDOs it would've been a much nicer performer. Or better yet C-172XP (210 hp with the constant speed prop)! This would be my choice if I was in your shoes.

Yes that is a thought. The 8gcbc Scout with a 180 horse and a constant speed prop is OK on floats. I do not care for them on wheels compared to other planes in the same price range.

Oddly enough I have flown a lot of 7GCBC 150 horse Citabrias on wheels or skis, but never a 150 horse Citabria on floats.
    I wonder how they do ?? As long as I could stay away from an old wooden wing spar.

I keep hoping to run into a nice 172 or C-170B with a180 horse engine and a float kit. So far that combo has proven illusive and expensive. There are a couple 220 hp C-172s out there with Franklins. But the whole legal weight and balance thing gets pretty fuzzy when I ask the seller some questions. Plus some of them are so expensive that I might as well just buy another C-180.

Some lakes I use are rather short with tall trees or solid granite on the ends.
    The Citabria is a 1 person float plane, the legal gross weight isn't enough for 2 people and fuel. The Scout is a great plane on floats, I had one and only sold it due to it's need for Avgas for the 0-360 out in the bush. I ended up going with an 0-320 cub because of that.