Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Kenai River Report

Default 2013 Kenai River Report

What's the current activity for the Kenai Dipnet fishery?

I just looked on the Alaska Fish and Game website. The fishery opens at 0600 on 10 July.
    Good Luck to us all.

Hasn't opened up yet - Wednesday will be the first shot, as referenced by the previous poster. The Kasilof is open, though.

Quote Originally Posted by medic2022 View Post
    After reading that it makes me wonder if the beach shouldn't be closed to everyone until that bacteria outbreak clears up.
    I for one would hate to see people eating fish that have fecal coliform or enterococci on them and certainly wouldn't want to eat them myself.
    People might have to look for other places to dipnet. Certainly they should not allow camping on these contaminated beaches.
    They are just putting people at risk letting them wade into the water and dipnet there.
    Also they should not allow fish cleaning on the beach until this clears up.
    I know many will say people should be allowed at their own risk. But at what point does the level get to high to continue to allow public use of the area?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

And its not the dipnetters that have caused it! The question I have is this: is this something new, or something that always goes on near areas seagulls concentrate, and this is just the first time it has been measured and quantified on Kenai beaches?

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    And its not the dipnetters that have caused it! The question I have is this: is this something new, or something that always goes on near areas seagulls concentrate, and this is just the first time it has been measured and quantified on Kenai beaches?
    This has happened several times in the past few years on the Kenai beach. Generally after dipnetting season has begun.
    The last time it occured the hypothesis was that seagulls eating dpipnet fish waste and crapping on the beach in such a confined area was a primary cause.
    It would be interesting to see if this ever was documented before we had dipnetting.
    I also wonder if they have tested the Kasilof beach?

Thanks, didn't check the website yet. I'll be on the beach the eleventh. Good luck!

Well then, no sushi from the Kenai. Might have to take a boat instead.

I think F&G should open a season up for seagulls. I'm sure we could blame them for eating all the king fry and their decreasing numbers, defacating in and contaminating the river(s), eating peoples herring as they attempt to get it in the water, being an annoyance to the all mighty bald eagle (the country's bird), and lets not forget taking a big ole dump on many a peoples head. They're outta control i tell ya.

To clarify, everyone here is mentioning the beach as contaminated, but isn't it the water itself?

Google Maps Engine now has a few more Kenai River points of interest fyi.

Planning on being in a boat next week. Read the web sight for the beaches program, sounds like its a new thing. Far as we know the kenai has been contaminated for a long time. I would like to know how severe this is. If they did these tests in June imagine how bad they were last year in July!!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Any regs on comm boats using their on-board heads while inriver?

Here is a better report on the bacteria outbreak.
    It appears 80% of the problem comes from seagulls.
    So no you cannot blame the commercial boats for this one as apparently they are NOT the problem.
    I would wager good money that there is more fecal matter entering the water from dipnetters crapping on the beach in one season than commercial boats put out in 4 or 5 years while tied to their mooring buoys inriver.
    http://www.adn.com/2013/07/09/296962...-steps-to.html
    The question I have is has there always been such a large seabird rookery near the mouth of the Kenai?
    I think this is in part due to the amount of fish waste the birds find to eat from the dipnet fishery. I know that the 1 month of dipping won't sustain them year round but I suspect the number of birds in this area might be less if not for this huge influx of fishwaste they have to eat concentrating them near the river mouth.
    Maybe the State will listen to the city for a change and keep the dipnet closure at night so the city can clean the fishweaste off the beach. Also I hope dipnetters heed the new laws and dispose of there fish waste properly.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I think this is in part due to the amount of fish waste the birds find to eat from the dipnet fishery.
    ┐Confused? Did the dipnet fecal matter already hit the beach in June?

Make no mistake. I do not support slobbery in any way. Reason, however, cannot justify blaming people who are not even there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    ┐Confused? Did the dipnet fecal matter already hit the beach in June?

Make no mistake. I do not support slobbery in any way. Reason, however, cannot justify blaming people who are not even there yet.
    If you read my last post I also asked how long the Seagull rookery has been as large as it is now.
    I wonder if the seagull rookery and abundence of seagulls would be nearly as large as it is without the dipnet waste for them to feed on?
    A friend of mine used to be a government hunter. Thats right the feds paid him to shoot varmints and other problem critters.
    One of his stories is that a Birdseye vegetable plant was nearly shutdowm from seagull crap contaminating the place as they had found an easy foodsource in the vegetable scraps that they found near ther plant to feed on. He was called in and shot 2 pickup truck loads of seagulls with his shotgun. The birds caused trhe problem but they were only there because of the abundence of easy food.
    So my question is would there be enough Fecal Coliform, of which 80% comes from birds,to warrant warning the public if we did not have the dipnet fishwaste contaminating the beach each summer?
    In previous years it only got bad during dipnet season.
    The theory was that seagulls crapping on the beach in a concentrated area after eating dipnet fish waste was the main culprit.
    So thats my question is the problem made worse because of the dipnetters fish waste? Will it get so bad during dipnet season they do close the beach for health concerns?
    Should we mandate all fish be removed from the beach whole with the guts/carcasses deposited elsewhere?

Absolutely. Make the rules, and enforce them with stiff penalties.

As far as June bacteria levels, I'm no microbiologist, but I'd think the winter tides, storms, cold, ice, etc. would have long ago taken care of last summer's waste source for this year's bacteria.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    Absolutely. Make the rules, and enforce them with stiff penalties.

As far as June bacteria levels, I'm no microbiologist, but I'd think the winter tides, storms, cold, ice, etc. would have long ago taken care of last summer's waste source for this year's bacteria.
    Cold/ice have no effect on E. coli. The bacteria can be inactivated by chemicals (chlorine), UV, ozone or heat greater than 165 degrees F. There is nothing sterile about a beach or a river, no matter the time of year.

OK, so, let me understand this. Even though the dipnetter waste is gone, the bacterial colonies that built up over the previous summer are still present in the sand and gravel that has been scoured over the winter, waiting for warmer temperatures and new sources of waste to begin multiplying.

just remember that the sea Gulls are potected by uncle , & they can sleep, set, an poop any place they want ,
    SID

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast