Thread: broke in a new packer

Default broke in a new packer

So growing up my little brother in law didnt have any sort of mentors and actually had it quite rough to say the least. well long story short I decided to try to give him some guidence into the world of hunting.. How better to start him off then to be a packer on a sheep hunt..lol. He is a typical wirey 20yo full of life. Well I decided to put him(my knee too) to the test yesterday.We loaded up the packs with full camp and rations and headed to the mountans. I didnt want to have him hurt so I only put 40 on his back and I carried 50. The first test was the brush breaking..mostly trees,downfall and some underbrush, so very little alder so it was an easy test...

next were the rocks and some things to avoid...lol

But its always nice to look back from where you start to give you an idea of how far you came

then we get to have a little more incentive of what we are up there for....well kind of..ewes and lambs, but still a nice sight

in the end no Rams to be found but little bro in law did great and never missed a beat.. Its not easy to throw a pack on and climb up the face of a mountain so I think he will make a fine sheep hunter.. We did go through some really sketchy stuff to get there but sure was nice to be up there...

Beautiful stuff!!! Looks like ur partner handled it well. The miles under a pack are awesome but being afield with someone he can look up to is priceless!!!

Awesome, enjoy the preparation and savor every moment.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I remember one or two of those views... Nice going. Too bad about the lack of rams, but hey.. wouldn't want it to be too easy for ya.

You sure don't believe in traveling light do ya? 50 lbs for a scouting trip... dang. My last couple of sheep scouting/backpacking trips I think I was around 30ish, and I didn't think I was packing particularly minimalist. Well, that's one way to get in shape.

Yk

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    You sure don't believe in traveling light do ya? 50 lbs for a scouting trip... dang.

I'm thinking my old ass is probably gonna have to do the same here pretty soon if I want to have at least some semblance of any kind of a good time on my upcoming goat hunt...... YIKES...!!!........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I can't remember........do you use trekking poles too Dave?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    I remember one or two of those views... Nice going. Too bad about the lack of rams, but hey.. wouldn't want it to be too easy for ya.

You sure don't believe in traveling light do ya? 50 lbs for a scouting trip... dang. My last couple of sheep scouting/backpacking trips I think I was around 30ish, and I didn't think I was packing particularly minimalist. Well, that's one way to get in shape.

Yk

geezh YK I thought 50 was pretty light...lol I just felt the need to get my confidence back on my knee with a stout pack in the rocks.. I will say its nice after all those hunts carring hunters gear to just strap my own on my back..

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I can't remember........do you use trekking poles too Dave?
    I have never really used trekking poles mostly just a walking ice axe however yesterday I did use a set.. I think they are a help but to me they kind of got in the way at times in the rocks when climbing to find better routes.. I will probably just go back to my one walking axe and keep one han free..

Looks like your brother in law held up well and even enjoyed the climb Dave, nice pics!