Thread: Upper Cambel Creek report

Default Upper Cambel Creek report

(Whoops, looks like I spelled Campbell wrong. Sorry.)

I jumped on the public transit system downtown and made my way down to Campbell creek upstream from Lake Otis Parkway. I walked for several hundred yards, mostly just looking for fish to decide whether I wanted to actually get the waders on.

I ended up putting them on and fishing for about 200 yards of stream in the catch and release section. Didn't see a thing in the water other than a few minnows. Are there really trout in Campbell? There can't be very many, at least not in that section.

It is a very pretty little stream with good character with all the log jams and turns, but seems to be devoid of fish. Maybe I'll try Ship Creek today above the dam. Hopefully there is fish in that section.

Default Campbell Creek

I think you may have to fish lower this time of year? As the reds, then silvers come up people seem to catch a whole lot of nice rainbows and dolly's all the way up.
    A couple of fly-fishermen I know caught some nice rainbows last week in Campbell and I think they were lower on the stream than the area you mentioned.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Yeah, I figured that after I fished it. I was pretty upset though since everyone I had talked to told me to fish the upper stretches.

I fished ship creek in the catch and release stretch today and didn't see a trout. Fished several hundred yards of beautiful water, but again, it looked completely void of fish.

I did witness a guy catch a salmon below "The Bridge". He was excited and I took a couple of photos. It was a nice fish. Two servicemen.

That stretch gets hit pretty hard by philipeno baitfishermen they basically catch all the stocked fifsh every year and probably a ton of wild ones too. The only place I've caught them is up above the science center.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Wink Upper cambell

I really enjoy the upper Cambell section starting about July first through September. Dollies to 22 inches are found, although most are much smaller. The key is to wade, as you were, and look behind the spawning kings and reds. Most fish will have dollies right behind them, and you will find a few honey holes where lots of spawners are on gravel. Most of the Dollies are not in the creek right now-they are in salt water or in lakes.

I first fished that section 10 years ago and found a honey hole that had few signs of other fishermen. I returned and found a ton of salmon lying around with there heads off and almost still twitching. I thought some snaggers were going nuts until I saw the largest Brown Bear tracks I had ever seen. Four years ago ADFG posted a warning that an estimated 1200 pound browny was working the river as far west as taco bell on Falkner. I am a wimp, and now only go in there with friends that are slower runners than I.....! The fishing can be so good that I forget to pay attention to whats happening around me!

i don't know for sure if this has anything to do with your issues, but i noticed that for some reason F&G is not stocking Campbell Creek this year.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Two words: Whirling disease

ADF&G is pretty much stocking no catchables this year as far as I can tell. (putting in 130 fish to a 100 acre lake doesn't really count as stocking)

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Two words: Whirling disease

ADF&G is pretty much stocking no catchables this year as far as I can tell. (putting in 130 fish to a 100 acre lake doesn't really count as stocking)
    Well, yes . . . and no.

Whirling disease hasn't actually been found. What has been found is a DNA shadow of the parasite that can carry whirling disease. The parasite hasn't even been found. ONLY a DNA remnant. Essentially, the water is too cold for the parasite to survive. And the temperature is too cold even for the disease itself. With the warm water discharge from the Elmendorf power plant now gone, there is virtually no chance the parasite or disease can survive. However, safety guards dictate that no stockables go in any lake that could release fish into a flowing waterway, or any creek system. As such, the trout raised there won't be put into Campbell or Chester creeks this year. And trout won't be put in anything other than a landlocked lake. These are fish ONLY from the Elmendorf hatchery. By the way, recent tests the hatchery made came back negative for whirling disease. It's simply not there.

Looking forward to the new Mat-Su Valley hatchery.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Looking forward to the new Mat-Su Valley hatchery.
    Am I reading this right, a new hatchery?

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    Am I reading this right, a new hatchery?

I hope they are doing something with the $9 extra liscence fee