Thread: Looking for Intel on the Kobuk Canyons

Default Looking for Intel on the Kobuk Canyons

Will be floating an oar raft this August 20 -27. Looking for first hand knowledge. Read the books, but they seem to differ. I'm hoping to run or line, not portage, unless the water levels dictate that it's prudent. I hear the first set of rapids right out of Walker L. is class IV or V. Any info on the canyons would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Did a search here, but didn't find much.

Steve

Just so you are aware of all options, you can get dropped at Lake Minakakosa and take Beaver Creek to the Kobuk and miss the two canyons all together. A far less known route I heard about when talking with the owner of Peace of Selby lodge. Google that for contact info. The guy has a cabin on the lake that you could rent on first night. Like I said, just another option.

Dan

Thanks Dan, I actually have looked at that option too, but the adventurer in me says run/portage some rapids

Hey Steve, the rapids aren't as daunting as they read. You can line or portage. One year I lined on river right at medium to low stage due to raging current. Another time we ran the rapids. The look scary from the banks, but doable once lined up. Big Rocks with large breaking waves, hydraulics are present but doable with your skill level.

I would avoid Beaver Creek. The creek is flat and deeper than other tribs. Animal density has been shot up along that stretch. IMO, the Walker lake option is better for fishing and scenery. Lakers at the lake and mouth, down about 10 miles. From there is just a great float with lots to see and do.

Hope it helps, man.

be safe.

larry

Floated the Kobuk from Walker Lake last September. The rapids were roaring because of high water! Tried to line the first raft thru the first set. Four hours later we portage'd the second raft. Ran the second set which was exciting. There didn't appear to be a portage as the river was very high, virtually no discernible river bank. Floated to Kobuk. Great trip, probably going again this fall.

Thanks Larry,

I might give you a ring and chat it up with you, or maybe have you guys over for dinner, been a while since I've seen you guys.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bartlett View Post
    Hey Steve, the rapids aren't as daunting as they read. You can line or portage. One year I lined on river right at medium to low stage due to raging current. Another time we ran the rapids. The look scary from the banks, but doable once lined up. Big Rocks with large breaking waves, hydraulics are present but doable with your skill level.

I would avoid Beaver Creek. The creek is flat and deeper than other tribs. Animal density has been shot up along that stretch. IMO, the Walker lake option is better for fishing and scenery. Lakers at the lake and mouth, down about 10 miles. From there is just a great float with lots to see and do.

Hope it helps, man.

be safe.

larry

I'll be on the water from 8/20 - 8/27 doing a fishing only trip. High water tends to change things a bit eh? When are you going to be on the water Frigid?

Quote Originally Posted by frigid electron View Post
    Floated the Kobuk from Walker Lake last September. The rapids were roaring because of high water! Tried to line the first raft thru the first set. Four hours later we portage'd the second raft. Ran the second set which was exciting. There didn't appear to be a portage as the river was very high, virtually no discernible river bank. Floated to Kobuk. Great trip, probably going again this fall.

We floated from Walker Lake to just downstream of the Preserve boundary last July in two Grabner canoes and a ProPioneer. We portaged the first rapid because water levels were fairly low, we had some novices along, and too many rocks were showing, requiring precision moves. After unloading most of our gear to make the canoe more agile, my partner and I ran the second canyon, which was a solid III+. Wet run but lots of fun. Obviously, be sure to scout first. You will be on far river left (scout is from right bank) and the final drop requires some serious draws to avoid pinning sideways on mid-channel rocks. I doubt a raft would fit -- even the Pro Pioneer was too long and wide to thread through the rapids. Too bad because running them is lots more fun than portaging! There's a section near the end of the portage that requires you to use boats to ferry people and gear past a deep spot with nowhere to walk on dry land.

Thanks for the report AKRivers, helps a lot.

Steve, plan on Sept 8 to Sept 22 to be on the river. Sorry for the late response1

Frigid

Have a great time and be safe up there!