Thread: First time Cordova

Question First time Cordova

I am going to Cordova next week and would like to try fishing for Kings, trout, and Reds. I have heard there is a "homer spit" equivalent for Kings and that the Eyak may have some reds trickling in. There are many streams on the road system that look fishable, but I suspect trout fishing is not great until more fish head upriver. Any advice would be appreciated! thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shipbum View Post
    I am going to Cordova next week and would like to try fishing for Kings, trout, and Reds. I have heard there is a "homer spit" equivalent for Kings and that the Eyak may have some reds trickling in. There are many streams on the road system that look fishable, but I suspect trout fishing is not great until more fish head upriver. Any advice would be appreciated! thanks
    Flemming spit has a run of kings planted there by the fish and game. It may be considered a poor man's homer spit.

If you are a fly fishermen you can get into some good red fishing on the Eyak. Check that out for sure. Alganic slough is another you should look into. Its fed by Mckinly Lake which has a sizable run of reds as well.

It will still be early for the cutthroat fishable on the road system. Plus.....I'm not sure when the system opens up for them. There might be some Dolleys around though.

Thanks!
    I will have to look Alganic up on the map. A scaled down Homer's spit does not sound bad either.I am still looking for the Copper River counts on the ADFG site. They are not posting them yet. I am not sure they would reflect the Eyak or not.....

Default Cordova

Our family went there last June and had a great time. We stayed at Orca Lodge. I caught reds at Eyak lake, it was fly fishing only. Got some good action with my sage, I was the only one there.
    We rented a skiff in town, an 18 foot crestliner with a new yamaha for 150 dollars. It was awesome, we explored lots of islands and coves that were very close. The largest population of sea otters in the world there I think.
    Make sure you go to Child's Glacier at the million dollar bridge.
    As for the Kings, I think the timings will be good for there. I think you kind of have to stay clear of the fishermen there though, they are no joke and not really friendly to vacationers it seemed. (All about that Copper River run).
    Have fun, we did.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Eyak will have reds, one of the earlier runs in the state for sure, peaks about the last week in may from what I've been told. Wish they still stocked that run in Main Bay..
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.