Thread: Tok Cutoff trails?

Default Tok Cutoff trails?

I'm in Tok and was traveling between Slana & Fairbanks when we got wind of a fire between Eielson & the Hot Springs road (we had State cabin reservations until DNR called and said they're refunding our reservation).

An old timer around Slana told us of an Indian Pass Trail around mile 71 on the Tok cutoff, but I couldn't tell where the trailhead's located and we're heading back toward Glennallen via the Cutoff tomorrow. Anyone ridden this trail and/or know where it's located?

Also, there appeared to be an atv offloading ramp around mile 116-117 on the Cutoff. Anyone know where this trail goes? Maybe it's part of the Eagle Trail?

Any info would be appreciated. At this point we're looking at heading back to Nabesna to ride, but would love to ride another new trail along the Cutoff.

Thanks,
    Tim

Default Trails

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    I'm in Tok and was traveling between Slana & Fairbanks when we got wind of a fire between Eielson & the Hot Springs road (we had State cabin reservations until DNR called and said they're refunding our reservation).

An old timer around Slana told us of an Indian Pass Trail around mile 71 on the Tok cutoff, but I couldn't tell where the trailhead's located and we're heading back toward Glennallen via the Cutoff tomorrow. Anyone ridden this trail and/or know where it's located?

Also, there appeared to be an atv offloading ramp around mile 116-117 on the Cutoff. Anyone know where this trail goes? Maybe it's part of the Eagle Trail?

Any info would be appreciated. At this point we're looking at heading back to Nabesna to ride, but would love to ride another new trail along the Cutoff.

Thanks,
    Tim
    Indian pass is closed thanks to our friends at ahtna. It starts between two houses as i recall.

Yes it does, you're right. I DID find it and tooled around up there. Awesome ride. Never saw another ATV. Supposedly that area gets pummeled at hunting season, but it was peaceful and beautiful this summer.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Yes it does, you're right. I DID find it and tooled around up there. Awesome ride. Never saw another ATV. Supposedly that area gets pummeled at hunting season, but it was peaceful and beautiful this summer.

Tim
    You were trespassing on Native land,you may not want to broadcast it on the internet it's a $500 fine if caught.

Idk, it's kinda ambiguous. I was told it was an RS 2432 (or whatever nomenclature) trail and that we could ride it, but we couldn't leave the trail. We were legal since we paid a trespass fee to stay at the gravel pit by the Klu and had 24 hours before it expired. I stopped by the Ahtna office in Glennallen on the way home and told them they marked the trail well (as usual) but they didn't supply a fee box/permit box for people who wanted to ride the trail.

Tim

It's a legal right of way that crosses Ahtna/Mentasta land.

That's what I was told by the locals. They didn't seem to really like the Ahtna and they were insistent not to pay the trespass fee, but I "use" Ahtna land good, bad or indifferent and don't mind paying and having a good rapport with Ahtna. I've had nothing but positive interactions with the Glennallen Land Resource Officer and the ladies at the Ahtna building. They've got some great places to ride and fish!! I can see why guys don't ride there though. You can't hunt or anything. It's peaceful and beautiful though.

Tim