Thread: Valdez pink fishing?

Default Valdez pink fishing?

Anyone catching pinks from shore yet? Thanks.

Good question. They should be showing up.

The seiners just finished up opener number 3 of the season tonight. Looks like there will be another on Sunday. Cost recovery for the hatchery is somewhere around 70% (ballpark, haven't heard updated numbers yet).

Fished Allison Point Friday evening; not much made it past the seiners. Saw a couple of fish roll and a bunch of sea lions swimming around looking for fish, but that was pretty much it. Maybe Saturday!

Seiners will be on Allison pt. tomorrow. Opens at 6 if you want to enjoy the melee. There will be a closed area in front of the hatchery for the seiners.

They are anticipating cost recovery to be completed by this evening

Heard today that the seiners near Allison are getting their nets so full of pinks that they cannot hoist them aboard, they are towing the net a short distance to have the fish sucked right out of the nets! Also that the fish seems to be milling around, none going into hatchery yet or being caught from shore. Should be any day for good shore fishing from Allison...The commercial guys are welcome to all the hatchery fish they can catch, I am sure there will be plenty left for the hatchers and all the folks that fish for pinks for sport/food. Hopefully, this will satisfy them and we won't see the seiners hitting the small, unsustainable wild runs out in PWS because they didn't load up on hatchery fish.

This may bode well for us sportfishers this year...the last few years the pinks were a month late, and last year didn't make cost-recovery and no openers. The halibut fishing was dismal, perhaps because no pinks to follow into PWS...neither did the silver run ever materialize into anything like we've come to expect. So let's hope this horde of pinks is saying something good about ocean conditions and the health and abundance of fish stocks for 2013 and beyond!

I really hope that's good news for the silvers. I've never seen Valdez as dead as last year for silver fishing. 3 days of fishing and I don't think I even had a hit.

Just got back from there, the fish were so thick on the fourth of july it was stupid. Literally a fish jumped in my boat (my boats first harvest) and was epic ended up pulling 19 fish total on that day. The next day i loaded up the kids and wife for their first pink experience but there was only a few jumpers and no fish caught. Saturday was so depleted it wasnt even funny. There was not one fish at allison point, not even a jumper. It is going to be tough to talk the family into going to valdez again. Weather sucked, shrimping sucked, and after the comm guys got ahold of the pinks so the fishing sucked. If i want to see ****ty weather and bad fishing i guess i will go to whittier.

Ron,

The wild stocks are doing really well this year, which is why they've been opening the entire eastern district, and not just the port. Fish and game has been doing a very good job managing the run.

Still no updated female percentages. I'll probably call the biologist tomorrow if its not in the announcement

Any update on the fishing since the weekend?

Three of us fished several hours on Tuesday at Allison Point. We only caught two pinks. Only saw one other fish being caught. Saw a number of fish jumping, mostly pretty far from shore.

Caught ten in about 2hrs of fishing on Wed afternoon. Didn't see many others caught.

pinks suck. Still havent recoverd from last wknd.walked the weir saw 10 pinks by ladder none inside . 3 ft swells this afternoon sucked than at 9 the trollers came in the harbor.

The seiners are closed today and tomorrow, so the harbor is packed. There was a good push of pinks up the arm yesterday afternoon, and it's looking good this morning between Jack Bay and the narrows. Good luck anyone going out this weekend

Wanting to take the grandkids to Valdez so they can fish July 17 to 20.

Hows it looking down there for pinks ??

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks

Seiners are off tomorrow, so there should be another good push int the port. Today they kept the line outside of Sawmill Crk (west side of the security zone) in order to protect broodstock. I would imagine they'll do the same on Wednesday. Could mean good things for Alison point

Default Update?

Quote Originally Posted by akshootnscoot View Post
    Seiners are off tomorrow, so there should be another good push int the port. Today they kept the line outside of Sawmill Crk (west side of the security zone) in order to protect broodstock. I would imagine they'll do the same on Wednesday. Could mean good things for Alison point

Anyone fishing there today Wednesday with fresh intel?

Going to try later this afternoon hopefully