Thread: Are ANY plants moose-proof?! Rhubarb?

Default Are ANY plants moose-proof?! Rhubarb?

We finally built a garden fence this year and had to be sure to put the rhubarb plant "behind the fence" as the moose are constantly after it. I was told that the leaves of the rhubarb plant are poisonous to moose, but our moose seem to be eating heartily and coming back for more with no obvious side effects. No one else seems to be having this problem, perhaps I just have a special kind of rhubarb?! As I am making new flower beds, etc. I was wondering what seems to be the typical favorites for "munchies" so that I can just save my time and effort and not plant them!

They love to dine on Tulips.

I have yet to find anything they won't eat, including rhubarb and tomatoes.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I was surprised a few years ago to watch an old cow eat the remaining leaves off of my raspberry plants... I'm of the same opinon as Ioftheitaga
    I think they'll eat anything that is green if the mood moves them...

They will even eat Pine needles , Saw this a couple of winters ago they were striping the lower part of several pines. They also like Larch trees.

Thumbs down

Have never had them go after our rhubarb, but the dad-gum things will eat virtually anything else around here. They regularly prune my wife's raspberry bushes.

Pain in the butt . . .

Default plants

I think Rhubarb leaves are poisonous. I have never had moose eat Green Beans, Potatoes, or Zuchinni, they do eat the tops on carrots, but they grow back, everything else should be in a fence.

For several years we had a cow that annually wiped out the wife's impatients planted in a shady window box, She didn't come back last fall.

Quote Originally Posted by mark oathout View Post
    I think Rhubarb leaves are poisonous. I have never had moose eat Green Beans, Potatoes, or Zuchinni, they do eat the tops on carrots, but they grow back, everything else should be in a fence.
    I had one mow my potato plants down to the ground one fall...
    Perhaps it was the same animal who pulled up the tomato plants and ate them, roots and all. Have had the rhubarb taken down as well...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Bam-bam tree. First invented by remington. After the first bam bam they dont eat no more...

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

rubarb leaves poisonous to humans. I have seen whitetails and moose eat it to the roots. Had one cow that kept coming back until all the rubarb leaves were gone... took her about week and half....

The only thing I haven't seen them eat, or evidence, has been potatoes..... got a small cow bedding in my potatoe AO lately, and none have been touched. Thinks she's drinking out of the watering bucket though

Good luck on your quest, and let us know what yuo find

Chris