Thread: Last bear of the season for me as well

Default Last bear of the season for me as well

Well finally connected before heading south for 3 years before returning to AK to retire. Movers were coming on monday to pack us up and I managed to connect on a nice sow on saturday morning (June 22nd). F&G Squared her at 8'5 with a 22 7/8 skull, and shot placement at 100yds was dead on (shattered shoulder and the round severed the spine) she piled up no more than 5 feet from where she was hit. Great hide which was surprising due to the heat we have been having up north. The bear is up with RJ at Pro Taxidermy to have a nice shoulder mount made. the 15 mile ride in was brutal though on the ATV I can attest to that (my butt was numb for 3 days) but getting a chance to have my Son out on his first successful bear hunt was well worth all the pain and mosquito bites.
    1017598_10201365427086597_1038426447_n.jpg

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Nice...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Good deal...

Need more details man!!! Just walking the woods and happen to come across it?? Looks pretty wooded for spot and stalk, had to have been an exciting encounter in treed cover!!! Share the story!

Pretty sweet man... Best of luck at fort bragg

Nice bear! And congrats to your son as well.

I feel your pain too, they are sending me to communist Marlyand for who knows how long. I've got it bad at 7 years to go till retirement.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Beauty. Nice job and good luck in your future endeavors.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Well the story will be posted on my site as soon as i throw a few cold ones back we left AK on the 28th got to seattle the 2nd stayed for 3 days and just hit So Cal we will be here a few days then heading to Florida to take the kids to Disney then up to NC all in a nissan armada with 3 kids 3 dogs 2 guinie pigs and a small 4x6 trailer. So give me a few hours and ill type the story up when i get my laptop out as well as photos

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Congrats thats a nice looking bear!

Yah i gave the meat to a buddy he said it was amazing and just as good as spring black bear

Good deal on the hunt before punching out. I'm retireing in 4.5 months and never leaving Alaska again. 3rd and final tour. Just can't beat the outdoors here. Safe travels

Ok now I am finally able to sit down and type this up.. its been a hell of a week (over 4000 in maint. to my wifes truck as we have been stuck in So Cal since monday). But here goes for those who wanted the full run down.

After countless trips north to unit 16 to check our baits (my son was at wits end due to late hits with blackies on our bait site which now i believe is related to the construction near our site as we were finding areas where the utility workers were crapping and leaving trash all over the area but thats our belief), my son finally asked to just go spend a weekend doing some good father and son bonding out in the woods. We left the house around 3PM and started our trip north to the hunting grounds. Traffic that day was a nightmare due to the convoys of RV's and tourists stopping for every critter they saw. 5 hours later (trip usually takes us 2 hours) we arrive at our pull-off and start heading down the trail to park the truck and unload the ATVs. Cruising along at the crisp speed of 20 MPH I had a sidewall failure in the right rear tire of my titan with no real area to safely pull off so we drove 5 miles on a blown tire until we had enough space to park the truck and deal with the spare later. The time is now closing 9PM, we have the ATVs loaded up, do all our pre checks to ensure we have enough supplies to last for a few days in the bush and start the ride out. The trail head was much easier to travel mainly due to the high temps we had been seeing for the past 2 weeks and the skeeters were no where near as bad as they were the weekend prior. We break brush pushing the devils club and away as we manuver our way through the thick stuff until we hit our first clearing (my butt cheeks were happy to see this clearing as were my arms from fighting the handlebars for the past hour) . We cross the clearing and pull out the GPS to check the distance to the area we had planned on hunting and to my dismay we were still 7 miles short of our hunting grounds with some pretty nasty areas to still cross through. Over the next 2 hours we worked our way along the rolling hills stopping to glass in hopes of seeing a nice blackie for my son to shoot but it just didnt seem to want to connect that day between the blown tire, long traffic and broken winch bracket (due to a fender high mud bog i got stuck in). I talk to my son and ask how much further he wants to push before we start hitting the predator calls and he tells me he wants to push one more ridge and start glassing. We push for about another 30 minutes then find a nice area that has great cover, good water and some berry patches and decide this is the area we want to try our luck at. We push in about 300 yards along the back side of a ridge using the wind to our advantage and stop to glass. As we start glassing the opposite ridge we spot some movement slowly pushing the base of the ridge heading away from us. After a few minutes of talking about what plan of action we want to take my son tells me to make a stalk and see if I can connect. We push about 100 yards down the ridge all while keeping the wind in our favor and finally get a good view of the bear. She looks like shes in good shape no cubs and her hide looks pretty good overall and I start my stalk. She is pushing close to 300 yards out across the open muskag swamp and working the base of the woodline weaving in and out of site. I set up and get into position to hopefully land a successful shot. As i sit for what feels like an eternity watching as she weaves in and out of the dense brush nose to the ground she finally catches wind of something she is not familure with and puts on an amazing show as she stands on her hind legs nose to the air but she still has not scented us fully. I evaluate the surroundings and figure if she is going to investigate us any futher then she should cross the marsh about 100 yards to my right. I slowly chamber a barnes TSX 168gn round into my Tikka 30.06 switch the safety off and bring the rifle to my cheek waiting on her to present a front quarter shot. 5 minutes later she emerges from the woodline nose to the ground and quartering directly towards my position. With the bear in my sights I line up for a clean shoulder shot, I squeeze the trigger and as the recoil jolts my shoulder and the sound cracks the almost silent air I see the bear jolt backwards. Knowing the shot had landed exactly where I was placing it I stand up chamber a second round and slowly work my way down to the marsh so I can land a follow up shot if needed. My son following behind me so close I could have sworn he was wearing my shoes we see the bear piled up no more than 5 feet from where she was shot. The round had shattered her shoulder fragmented and severed her spine, I place the final shot on her at 15 feet to ensure a clean kill and minimal suffering and put the girl down quickly. It was by far one of my most memorable hunts I have been on and one that will last in my sons mind for years to come.

EXCELLENT...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!