Thread: Unit 20A Caribou

Question Unit 20A Caribou

I am a non-resident that drew DC827, Unit 20A caribou for this fall. I am a college student and budget is limited for this fall's season. I would like to hunt DIY rifle before September when all of the moose hunters flood the area. I do not know where to start but would appreciate any tips/suggestions for walkin departure locations, atv trails, or licensed transporter information. I have never harvested a caribou and would love to harvest one with my father along this August. Thanks

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

Jim Cummings of Golden Eagle Outfitters http://www.alaskawildernessexpeditions.com/aboutus.html flew me into 20A out of Delta Junction a few years back with the same draw tag and we had a great and I must add successful hunt.

My wife drew a tag up there and it will be our first hunt for bou here in AK as residents. I was up in the area doing a little scouting as we plan to hike in. Alot of the access is bordered by Ahtna Native Heritage Inc. so if you plan to hike in off the parks hwy you may need one of these http://www.ahtna-inc.com/ldp.html. Looks like there are some decent points of access but as far as ATV's go I'm pretty sure that 827 is non-motorized (other than aircraft). Couple of the locals I talked to said they took ATV's in through certain places but I didn't pry as I friggen hate ATV's and didn't feel like pointing out that it's illegal, especially to someone giving up intel. All the stuff near Healy looked pretty well locked down by the mining company with some big water to cross. A fly in would be sweet but paying 2g's for bou steak just doesn't sit well with me after hunting elk in Montana 10 min from my house. Good luck out there.

Read up on the non-motorized areas... most of 827 is open to ATV use. Most of the ATV trails are a long way from where the bou will be though. I would call Jim Cummings as well. If I ever draw that tag again I will be flying in...

I drew it too. I'm going up to Achorage, driving up, then hiking into the mountains. I knew where I wanted to hunt before I applied. I'm bringing a good friend along as a packer. Success rates are high and trophy potential exists. Come on up and play.
    Flying in gives you the whole AK experience. Seeing how vast the unit is brings things into prospective.

Thanks Bambistew. I stand corrected. I was looking at the CUA restrictions since I was scouting in that area. Would you fly in to go for trophy class bulls or just because it's tough going to get to the bou?

PM sent.....

Pm sent.......

Do a search for posts made by forum member DonV. He had this tag and hunted it last year. He posted many questions regarding all aspects his hunt, though I can't remember how many of the questions he asked actually pertained specifically to DC 827. At the very least you will be able to hear his write-up of how the hunt went for him.

I was also drawn for this Tag, If anyone is looking for a hunting partner hit me up.