Thread: .375 Ruger

Default .375 Ruger

I haven't read about the .375 Ruger much lately on this forum. Is it not a popular cartridge in Alaska or just used for the big bears? I have the 375 Ruger African and like it a lot. I may even take it out for elk this year. I used it extensively in Africa last year and found it performs much like a 338 Win. Mag when using the 260 Nosler Accubond bullets.

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

It is indeed a pretty popular round up here. I hadn't even heard about it long when I found out 2 guys at work had them, as well as another neighbor of mine. Great round for sure...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Nope, it doesn't suck. Lotsa folks got 'em.

There were quite a few threads on them last fall and part of the winter, may have been in the hand loading section though. I almost bought one before moving up here but I ended up passing since the ammo was a bit hard to find when they first came out, for me anyhow. I ended up with a .375 H&H which I love but the Ruger version is ballistically superior according to my research.

It's pretty common here...heck, I've had two. Good round that performs well.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have a Ruger Hawkeye African which I think is an older model as it doesn't have the barrel band type front sling swivel but rather it is mounted in the walnut stock. I had Vince at Precision Arms bed the action, free-float the barrel, install a Decelerator pad, and do a trigger job. I've been developing a load for it and I can shoot three shot groups you can cover with a quarter using Barnes 270 gr. TSX FB bullets over 73.5 gr. of RL 15 and using Federal GM215M primers. This rifle will go with me this season and the trusty .338 win mag will stay home. The recoil isn't as bad a some people say and it is a please to shoot off the bench if you hang on to it. JMHO
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Take your .375 and hunt the earth! I've used mine for 50 years on everything from caribou to kudu and furry things in between.

I have the Hawkeye African. Got it the 2nd year it came out. Had the trigger worked, bedded the action and floated the barrel. It pushes 300 grain Accubonds @ 2800 FPS, 1" or smaller groups at 100yds. I absolutely love mine and have taken 3 moose with it. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot anything on the face of the planet with it. I think I'll upgrade the recoil pad, the factory one is not very soft and she has a pretty good kick with the heavy bullets.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

OKElkHunter,

My Hawkeye African was left to me by my uncle. It was unfired until I started working up loads this spring. I believe it was manufactured in 2007. What year was yours made and where is the front sling swivel located, barrel band or stock mount? Thanks. JMHO, but I'd recommend a Pachmayr Decelerator pad, they really help to tame the beast.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Doug,

Mine was purchased new in 2007. It has the stock mount sling swivel stud, no barrel band. I have been thinking about the decelerator pad for a replacement. The recoil didn't really bother me until I had shoulder surgery, and it is still tolerable but pretty stiff.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

I had 2 LH 375 H&H rifles LH Rem 700 & a LH Win 70. Sold them both much prefer my SS LH Laminate stock Ruger in 375 Ruger. No brass stretch issues. Extremely accurate, and LH and SS control feed hard to find in LH. It is not as soft shooting as the 375 H&H but I prefer it.

OKElkHunter,

Thanks much, it sounds like you have the exact same rifle I have. I don't really think the recoil is all that bad either. I shoot several hard kickers, .338 win mag, 7mm RUM and 45/70 but with this one, I do need to hang on it to it when I'm shooting off the bags on the bench. I broke my shoulder when I was in my early 20s so that doesn't help. The accuracy of this rifle amazes me. I have several Rugers (I'm really a Remington 700 type of guy) and this one definitely shoots better than the rest. Can't wait to get it out this fall!