Thread: Unit 13 Grizzly

Default Unit 13 Grizzly

I have a question for the masses. Due to the recent arrival of my new son, my hunting time is nearly non-existant this fall. I have seen several posts on hunting moose and caribou in unit 13 South of the Denali Highway. Since I didn't draw a tag, and assume that the moose hunting is pretty competitive due to ease of access with ATV's, I had a thought.

Has anyone specifically hunted grizzly in the fall in that area? My thoughts are to venture in there on some limited 2 day excursions trying to identify moose/caribou kill sights and glass for scavaging bears. Ive read some reports from outfitters that claim high success rates, although that may be north of the road.

Anyway, Im trying to scavange some hunting for myself and came up with this one.

2 days is not enough time you will spend all your time driving. You would be better off spending the time hunting moose around your area.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    2 days is not enough time you will spend all your time driving. You would be better off spending the time hunting moose around your area.
    While more time is always better, I disagree that two days is not enough. As a teacher, my hunting season is mostly broken down into a lot of two-day trips since fall is one of my busiest times at work. It's not ideal, but we find ways to make it happen. The drive up takes ~4 hours, so if you go up after work, you have a solid day and a half of hunting - plenty of time if you're in the right place at the right time. As for grizzlies along the Denali in the fall, you certainly have a chance at connecting, but a lot of those other hunters after moose and caribou will take an opportunity at a bear as well. If I were looking for a bear, I'd focus on the mountainous berry patches rather than gut piles.

I should clarify, I used up all my vacation time during the flight to Idaho to be there for the birth of my son. Then three weeks later I loaded the family up in a U-Haul and drove them to Palmer. Im simply out of time.