Thread: Unit 13 B DM333

Smile Unit 13 B DM333

Greetings fellow hunters.
    I am fortunate to have drawn an any Bull permit for the south eastern part of unit 13B, hunt DM333. I am considering accessing the hunt area from the Meiers Lake Trail but I have never been in that area. I am hoping for information on the trail or trails to the Middle Fork, can the Middle Fork generally be crossed by a 6 wheeler in this area, and any general information about Moose and Caribou populations and Trails on the East or South East portion of DM333 would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you so much for any information you can provide and I hope you have a really wonderful day.
    Bob T.

I think that's the alphabet hills hunt I got drawn for 2 years ago if not mistaken.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

it is in the Alphabet Hills. Did you access the area from Meiers Lake?

The Swede Lake trail at mile 17 Denali hiway. Make sure your ATV is in top shape with spares. This area is heavily hunted. I would get out there as early as possible to get a campsite. Nasty trails and lots of pressure.

I've hunted caribou in there in August in years past. Then I got the moose permit that you got in 2011, along with a caribou registration permit. I went in around September 10th to hunt the latter part of the moose season.

It was a zoo of various human sub-species riding all manner of contraptions. The trail was so torn up that I'll never do it again. Where we were camped I could see the light of nearly a dozen campfires in all directions. I got a nice bull caribou on the second day there, but never saw hide nor hair of any moose whatsoever, and no sign of bears at all.

The very next weekend after the moose closure a friend (and forum participant here) went in to help recover his friend's UTV. He said he saw several moose (including legal bulls) and lots of bear sign.

The game knows all about what was going on between 01 September and 20 September out there, they simply lie low, and they watch the show just like I did.

I'll never go in there in September again.

[It was a zoo of various human sub-species riding all manner of contraptions.]

Now that funny. +10 sent.

Sounds like it would be a good area to hunt as if you were an Indian. Crawling through the brush on your hands and feet as if you were starving.

Sent you a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    [It was a zoo of various human sub-species riding all manner of contraptions.]

Now that funny. +10 sent.

Sounds like it would be a good area to hunt as if you were an Indian......
    It wasn't a good place to hunt for anybody, unless you were hunting people. I knew it was going to be crowded when the trailhead parking area was so full of parked rigs that I had to park on the side of the highway a quarter mile away. But hey, the Swede Lake trail goes in a long way, and there are several side trails where people can spread out, right?

It was amazing. It was the most crowded hunting experience of my life.

I heard that the guys who went back in to or past Monsoon Lake, or the guys on the south side of the Alphabet Hills past us did well when the season started, but there is no doubt the moose were miles away and still running south at top speed by the time I got there mid-season.

Moose season is like king salmon season. There are just a lot of people who want to participate and the season in the accessible areas lasts for three short weeks.

And this year we have 12,000 caribou permit holders and speculations of shorter season and lower quotas. Enjoy!

I think Monsoon lake is out of the DM333 boundary to the west. The people who got as far as Keg creek got meat bulls, legal of course.So there was some success in the forest, not up high. Never saw so many destroyed trailers. One of our party lost a wheel off his CF MOTO UTV. We were there a week and saw 3 cow caribou and a sow with cubs. I do not believe it would have been possible for a bull moose to have survived a minute in our area there were so many hunters. Massive ATV traffic everywhere. I bet if you hauled in a hot dog/beer stand and pulled a few feet off the trail you could have made some good coin, especially right after the extensive mud hole just south of the Gulkana crossing. You will see a variety of mud, from black to brown to grey. Do not take any machine in that you are not confident in. Good luck but have low expectations.

After you cross the middle fork the beavers been hard at work back there as well.. Once you get on top you have oh mile to mile and half of grey clay mud, choose your route wisely... Once your out of their it's decision time when you get to the Y go right towards the beaver pond or go straight... Or soon as you get to the top after you cross the middle fork trail hangs a left.. If you make it to keg creek that's a big if unless you have a track vehicle your outside dm333 and your just inside dm332 boundary... Anyhow once you cross the pond go over the mtn another decision to make at the split go straight or go right into 4 miles of winching.. Once through that trail is ok for about 2 miles then back to **** bottomless holes... By a old boat anchor once you go past trapper knoll you will be going towards caribou lake and this is when the trail really goes to **** and that boat anchor I mentioned will save your ass there is nothing to winch off of unless you have 300 ft of cable.. Bring parts do a good service on your wheeler...if your wheeler is iffy then it will become a casualty my 6x broke a tranny and it only had 400 miles on it. Last year broke a fan had another one brought in... That place is no joke...

No moose to be found, caribou are where you find them, plenty of other hunters and vehicles. Middle Fork requires a swamp buggy with big tires on a dry year, if you get some rain forget it. Lots of mud bugs etc. Plenty of beer cans, water bottles, and other various drink bottles all over and alongside the trails.

Have fun in that zoo......

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    No moose to be found, caribou are where you find them, plenty of other hunters and vehicles. Middle Fork requires a swamp buggy with big tires on a dry year, if you get some rain forget it. Lots of mud bugs etc. Plenty of beer cans, water bottles, and other various drink bottles all over and alongside the trails.

Have fun in that zoo......
    Lol if you say so.... Just got to know where to go man most if not all will not go past trappers knoll...

323 is spot on; if you aren't mechanically inclined and your rig isn't in tip top shape; don't go. It's not a matter of if; it's more of a matter of when you will be fixing something.
    RC23

QUOTE=323;1301475]After you cross the middle fork the beavers been hard at work back there as well.. Once you get on top you have oh mile to mile and half of grey clay mud, choose your route wisely... Once your out of their it's decision time when you get to the Y go right towards the beaver pond or go straight... Or soon as you get to the top after you cross the middle fork trail hangs a left.. If you make it to keg creek that's a big if unless you have a track vehicle your outside dm333 and your just inside dm332 boundary... Anyhow once you cross the pond go over the mtn another decision to make at the split go straight or go right into 4 miles of winching.. Once through that trail is ok for about 2 miles then back to **** bottomless holes... By a old boat anchor once you go past trapper knoll you will be going towards caribou lake and this is when the trail really goes to **** and that boat anchor I mentioned will save your ass there is nothing to winch off of unless you have 300 ft of cable.. Bring parts do a good service on your wheeler...if your wheeler is iffy then it will become a casualty my 6x broke a tranny and it only had 400 miles on it. Last year broke a fan had another one brought in... That place is no joke...[/QUOTE]

Default 2011 plane recon

Pic of alphabet hills. looking to the north.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default More Fun

020.jpg
    The river crossing, the last time your ATV will be clean.
    Attached Images Attached Images