Thread: haul road bears

Default haul road bears

hey everybody, going up the haul road this September for caribou. I am very confident in my bows skills. anyone have any experience with the grizzlies up on the slope. I understand that anywhere there are caribou there should be bears, but are they any more wary due to the increased hunter pressure off the road? i'd like to take some time and try to spot one so I can cross that off the big game bucket list... slope grizz. thanks

I've been up for archery caribou 5 times in the last three years and saw three bears on one trip. All other trips had zero bear sightings. All three of those bears were across the sag river and not possible to get to without a boat.

Yes, the bears are skiddish because people are chasing them near the road. If you're going up, I'd take a raft to cross the sag. And I wouldn't go up planning on seeing one, sightings are few and far between.

ok thanks, i've got a pack raft thats going along so we can get away from the road crowd, i've read on here the moment you get across the river you're on the planet alone, because so many people just hunt or stalk from the road

I don't know about crossing the sag to be on a planet of your own, that was a secret years ago but that secret is out. I've crossed several times and found the animals just as skittish as close to the road also nearly as much litter on the east side too, a sure sign of idiots. Over the last 8 years of going up the haul road in the fall I've only seen 5 bears that would be visible from the road, one swam across the sag in front of me, one is at the taxidermist now and the other 3 were a sow and 2 small cubs. I average 3 to 4 trips up there a year so in say 24 trips 5 bears.... You follow my drift. All 5 bears were seen September of last year.

ok, thanks, mainly wanted to take the raft so i wasn't sitting there thinking... wow look at all those caribou on the other side, i wonder if i can swim across that???? and for bear rarity, i'm on about 15 trips without a sighting so maybe i'm due. not to go off topic too much, but how hard is it to pick up your trash, when you already went through the trouble to carry it out there full, now its empty and far lighter, but you just leave it behind??? you are very right...idiots...

On a side note, don't swim it! If you do decide to get in your pack raft and paddle across it wear your life jacket. That river has killed 3 people in the last couple of years that I can remember. It's cold and fast. I know this from experience, I've capsized in there 3 times, wearing a life jacket of course, had I not I doubt I'd be writing this right now. That river will suck out your life quick and hypothermia is no fun! I don't want to run across your or anyone's body in there. It happens so fast and if you're not wearing your life jacket when you go over... Well you get the idea.

When they decided to put a fence up around the dump at DeadHorse, the bears had no choice but to move on down the line...so there are more bears along the corridor in my experience. If you cook up bacon in large amounts and pur the grease on the ground around your tent, you might have some unwanted house guest...so personally I like a "clean" camp. I have had bears pass me by as close as 20 yards without them knowing I was there...never had a "bad" experience...but have gotten my heart started when I have crested a hill and almost stepped on a MuskOx (immediate brain response is BEAR)!!! They are huntable, but only a few are taken out each year. Like always, be bear smart and you will have the opportunity to take some great photos if you are patient.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I would keep a close eye out on the pass on the way up. Its alot easier to do a stalk when you have trees to use as cover. I got one last year with a bow and Ill tell you it is a rush!! Good luck

last year we had a really nice blonde bear walking south right along the pipe near oil spill hill. he never left the access road, and could have put an awesome play on him had the season been open. we went first part of august.

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

I killed my bear in 2010 on Aug 10th the day the season opened just north of Ice cut. She was a 23 year old sow that could have cared less about trucks going up and down the road. I shot her from 30 yards with my bow and she fell in 15 feet. on a side not, that was also the year they got rid of the draw hunt and went to a open hunt. They are there, I made 5 trips up the road and saw bears on 3 of them. Two above the pass, the one i killed and one MONSTER just outside of the deadhorse closed area. He was so big and the ground is so flat where he was there is no safe way to stalk him or I would have tried! And one really amaizng silver tiped 7 footer south of the pass just off the road. Keep your eyes out and you can find them. I have always heard that watching the sag just before the snow starts to fly really hard is a great time to be bear hunting up there.

thanks for the tips, plan to head up the weekend after labor day and spend the whole week looking for bou, maybe a bear and doing some grayling fishing. really just getting excited to get out and explore, have never been up that way and don't really even need to kill anything for it to be a successfull trip, but it would be nice