Thread: Scent Sticks?

Wink Scent Sticks?

Does any one use scent sticks for black bear? If so do you feel they are worth using? Where I hunt you can"t bait but you can use scents / lures so i"m looking for an advantage around feeding areas this fall. Thanks in advance. Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Thumbs down Don't care for them myself....

LongHunter7,
    Not sure what scent sticks you're referring to, but a few years back I tried some Bear Sense Smoke Sticks from Cabela's and just wasn't pleased with them. I would try something like a ThermaScent or a soup can suspended over a sterno inside a coffee can. Place whatever you wish to smell in the soup can. Heck you could even use the "vanillaroma" car scents from the gas station as a scent lure. Just my experience's though. Good Luck!

Longhunter: I checked last year about using scent lures while floating in my raft. Was told by F&G that scent lures can only be used in conjunction with registered bait stations.

Graybeard

Longhunter is not in Alaska though

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by TonyH View Post
    Graybeard

Longhunter is not in Alaska though
    Thanks for all the info.,I live and hunt black bear in NY. They do not allow baiting, or hunting in spring, fall season only. So at that season you have to key in on oak, beech, cherry hardwood stands, which you have to reach on foot, backpack, no quads,4x4 ect. If you find the right place, in a good mast year you have found the bears! I hope to try the early archery season back there this year, and wanted to use lure, or scent sticks which is legal, thus the post. Thanks Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30