Thread: Northern Kodiak terrain

Default Northern Kodiak terrain

Hey all, new to the site here. What a great wealth of information to be found. We're planning a deer hunting trip to northern Kodiak this year (early Oct.) and I'm looking for info on what the terrain is like. We plan on taking the ferry to Port Lions and using atv's to access the area that we want to hunt. From what info I can gather, we are able to get to public land via trail easements and then go from there. Would anyone have any tips or suggestions? Pictures of the terrain? I expect to get stuck, but not for sure how often or how bad. We usually hunt the PWS area from boat, but due to the heavy snowfall we had a few years ago we didn't do too well, so we are trying to give our usual spot/s a break. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime, I will continue to search this site, and anywhere else I can find. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the site!

I did this exact hunt in '11 and was completely new to this type of terrain.

The deer get hit very hard around Port Lions which is probably due to the ease of access. Hunted 5 days and saw/harvested 2 small bucks and a saw total of 12 deer. Needless to say we were disappointed with the amount of deer but had a great trip regardless.

The 17B easement trail will get you out into state land. We were only able to make it about 6 miles before the trail dwindled out. You'll have 3 Mountains(hills) on your right and a few directly in front of you. Those will be your only choices. Off the wheelers plan on footing it thru this stuff.

Bring leather gloves and a machete.

The trail to the left at the airport will lead you here. Lots of mossy trails in the tree line below us for quiet stalking, very low visibility though(100ft).

And expect some of this. There are no dry trails whatsoever. A set of folding atv ramps would help for crossing creeks which are deeper than they are wide.

RIP Josh! Our trip will always be a wonderful memory.

Here's the Tusty in Port Lions

It was a nice and inexpensive hunt. And here goes the old saying 'Ya get what ya pay for'.

I would most definitely do it again though! That venision was AWESOME!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Perfect. Thank you Akiceman25! This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. From the maps I found online from DNR illustrating the easement trails and native land, I"m not finding a "17b" The best I can figure is this is generalized to include all the trails in this area? My map is showing trail numbers EIN 7a out of Port Lions and EIN 28 from the airport. All the trails on the map are starting with "EIN". We're not going for a cheap hunt really, but more so, really wanting to bring the wheelers and get away from the norm. I guess we will see how it goes. Thanks again for the info and pictures. Spot on for what I was asking.

How was the wind in the area? I'm hoping since we would be a little bit inland we might have a little break from the coast wind.

You're very welcome!

When I mentioned it being an inexpensive hunt that was in comparison to a fly in drop off hunt where a hunter has a much greater chance of harvesting more and larger bucks.

Once you get to Port Lions you'll hang a left off the dock and go past the boat launch...within a couple miles you'll see the sign pointing to the left for the 17B trail. Yes another name is the Viekoda Bay trail or EIN 7a. It'll posted as 17B though. After 100 yards or so on it keep left and cross the bridge or you'll end up by the Village water supply. Besides chatting with the very nice VSPO... I didn't find the locals there very receptive.

We had no wind as far as I recall. In fact, we had beautiful weather our entire trip with some rain after dark but sunny during the day.

Oh and if you've never taken the ferry over night before you may want to bring some sleeping pills. Was a bear to sleep for me with the engine grumbling and wave action. You may bring some small bills for the vending machines also as the restaurant will be closed except for an hour at the end of your return trip.

Do you plan on tenting it? or are you staying in town?

We plan on tenting it up. Bringing a bear fence or two. I think a couple guys have cabin style tents, and I will be running my kodiak canvas I bought the beginning of last summer.

Early oct will still have some leaves on, visibility will be poor, deer will be very high. I'd take the ferry to town and just head out saltery cove road or something and fish some
    Silvers while your there. Deer limit is one but you probably have a better chance at one there than you do two outa port lions. Or you may have an incredible trip unmatched by even your imagination.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thanks BRWNBR. We're pretty set on this hunt, good or bad. As always hoping for the good.

I've been looking for "Archives" that I see people referring to but can't find anything labeled as "Archives" Am I missing something, or have I just not searched this site enough. I spend alot of time here, but there are pages upon pages of info. Searching key words has helped some, but still not really sure about the archives.

On another note, does anyone know if your ATV has to be registered around the Port Lions area or Easement trails?

Quote Originally Posted by millertime140 View Post
    We plan on tenting it up. Bringing a bear fence or two. I think a couple guys have cabin style tents, and I will be running my kodiak canvas I bought the beginning of last summer.
    How do you like your Kodiak canvas tent? I really like the one I have.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

No problem hope you guys have a great trip. Just be aware afognak native corp patrols their land so if you are on an easement don't shoot something off it and you'll be fine. Say hi to the island for me!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by millertime140 View Post
    Thanks BRWNBR. We're pretty set on this hunt, good or bad. As always hoping for the good.

I've been looking for "Archives" that I see people referring to but can't find anything labeled as "Archives" Am I missing something, or have I just not searched this site enough. I spend alot of time here, but there are pages upon pages of info. Searching key words has helped some, but still not really sure about the archives.

On another note, does anyone know if your ATV has to be registered around the Port Lions area or Easement trails?
    Your ATV's do not need to be registered. No worries there.

Searching the 'archives' is simply doing what you've been doing... searching with keywords.

BRWNBR's post reminds me.. I failed to mention you can get an access permit for Afognak lands at https://www.afognak.com/lands/land-permits/

That would open up a little more hunting area and keep you safe from trespassing. There is a trail at the power lines(can't miss it) that this permit would allow you to use.

Also, The trail previously mentioned at the airport is inside the Kodiak road system area per regs... only one buck allowed here. To get out of the Road system area and Afognak lands and get to where you can harvest 3 deer you'd use the 17B easement.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    How do you like your Kodiak canvas tent? I really like the one I have.
    I really like the tent. I wanted a cabin tent with a floor, but it was considerably more expensive, and I'm assuming bigger in pack size. I was looking for a tent I could put a stove in, but glad I got this instead. But being a true Alaskan, and working up north in the frigid weather I tend to like it a bit colder. Tho that doesn't help dry the gear. I plan on packing a "Mr. Buddy" for this trip tho, and hoping the vents let enough of the moisture out. My significant other really likes the tent as well, which is a big plus. Easy to put up and take down, the thick floor does well even on rocky river banks. I read you don't need to use a tarp, ever. I guess time will tell.

We don't plan on touching native land. I think I might get a permit, just in case we see one on the way tho. You never know, I would hate to see one and have my hands tied so to speak. Thanks again BRWNBR and AkIceman25.

You may want to keep checking the update for the repair of the Tusty, as of now it's down indefinetly. Call 907-465-3941 or toll free @ 800-642-0066 for schedules and updates. The Kennicott is suppose to pick up some of the September routes, but I don't know about the Oct. schedules.

Thanks Tonto. I called, and was told the Tusty will be operational due Oct 1st or so. That is cutting close to our timeline tho. Fingers crossed.