Thread: How big are Seward Silvers this time of year

Default How big are Seward Silvers this time of year

Just wondering how big the average Silver out of Seward is this time of year. Thanks for your help!

Average weight is around 8-10lbs. Although there are many swimming the depths that will exceed 15.

Later in August some larger ones can be more often caught.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

8-10 is a little on the high side as an average go. Realistically 6-8 is more accurate

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Here's a related question: I work 2-on/2-off on the slope. I have a boat rental to use pretty much when I want to, and I'm thinking a few days in Seward could be fun. Next off period is the last couple of days of July and first 10 days or so of August. Since I've never done a do-it-yourself silver trip in Seward, would there be fish in the bay in that time period? It's not a huge boat so I don't want to run too far out.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Here's a related question: I work 2-on/2-off on the slope. I have a boat rental to use pretty much when I want to, and I'm thinking a few days in Seward could be fun. Next off period is the last couple of days of July and first 10 days or so of August. Since I've never done a do-it-yourself silver trip in Seward, would there be fish in the bay in that time period? It's not a huge boat so I don't want to run too far out.
    It should be "game on" anywhere in the bay by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    It should be "game on" anywhere in the bay by then.
    Excellent, thanks! Kinda what I was thinking but I'm not a Seward salmon pro....

How big of a boat. I ask only because you say you are not familiar with Seward. The water, wind & tide combination can be challenging and dangerous. I have seen some extremely foolish people in the bay there. Some folks that exemplify the statement that "god looks out for drunks and fools". The size of the boat and your ability to manage it directly relate to where you are able to navigate to kill fish safely, which is the desired outcome
    Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by akpolaris View Post
    How big of a boat. I ask only because you say you are not familiar with Seward. The water, wind & tide combination can be challenging and dangerous. I have seen some extremely foolish people in the bay there. Some folks that exemplify the statement that "god looks out for drunks and fools". The size of the boat and your ability to manage it directly relate to where you are able to navigate to kill fish safely, which is the desired outcome
    I appreciate the concern. I haven't personally done much salmon fishing out of Seward. Typically we reserve that for Valdez but I don't feel like towing this thing all the way there for just a couple of days of fishing. I grew up with boating in AK, though, and am pretty familiar with Resurrection Bay quirkiness. Afternoon chop at the head, potential giant rollers at the mouth, crazy chop at the cape....I've done it, just in search of bottom dwellers and in bigger, more ocean-worthy boats.

It's a 21' Thunderjet. Semi-v, not very steep though. It'll work in the Bay on calm to moderate days. I won't venture out of the Bay in it, though. That's why I was specifically asking about if the fish would be in the bay.

That is plenty of boat to get you safely to Pony Cove, Cheval, Mary's Bay or around either cape weather and water permitting. Unfortunately lot's of people go out with everything "looking good" with not thought to the return trip later in the day. Good luck