Thread: Shipping a skiff

Default Shipping a skiff

Has anyone here bought a boat offline, on a trailer and had it shipped to them, And how much does something like that cost. I'm talking like a 14-16' lund on a trailer. Would they bring it to the house or do you pick up from the dock

Quote Originally Posted by badfish888 View Post
    Has anyone here bought a boat offline, on a trailer and had it shipped to them, And how much does something like that cost. I'm talking like a 14-16' lund on a trailer. Would they bring it to the house or do you pick up from the dock
    Skiffs like that are pretty common here and you'll be money ahead by buying when you get here. Yup they will deliver anywhere you want it just costs more. I used to lobster fish out of shark river for many many years.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Lotta Lund dealers and used Lunds up here. Prices may be a little higher than in New Jersey, but the dealers have to pay shipping too. Easier certainly to buy up here, and maybe even cheaper. If you're talking about a Lund you already own and want to get crosscountry without towing it yourself, look into finding a ramp and backing it into the moving van last thing, then piling small stuff on it before closing. Buddy moving south did that, and it was slick and easy. Just need to make sure width is within van specs.

I paid $1300 in April to get a 22' trailer with truck body parts shipped from Bellingham to Haines on the Alaska ferry system. It would have cost another $1400 to get this trailer from Haines to Whittier so we drove to Haines & picked it up. You can see the rates for the ferry system online @ http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/fares.shtml
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Just noticed my sig, Lol. I'm in ketchikan, And it seems literally every other house has a lund in the drive way. However. Not one has a for sale sign on it. But alaskas list and Craigslist have a decent amount of em.......just not here

Take heart. When I bought ours (from the ads on this site) it was in another town, but the former owner was more than happy to put it on the ferry for me. I'm betting you could expand your search to any of the communities connecting to Ketch via ferry.

http://www.northlandservices.com/des...st-alaska.aspx

If considering shipping from the Seattle area or anywhere on the barge line - it is very easy to get a quote from Northland Services.
    I had a boat shipped on a trailer within SE AK and it seemed reasonable to me.

One more thing - They can probably deliver, but it is likely not cost effective. Assuming you have a tow vehicle for that small of a vessel, you just go down and pick it up.

We recently bought a 27' boat on a trailer and had it shipped on the ferry from Bellingham to Juneau. Would have loved to been able to run her on her own bottom, but it didn't make sense to pay separately to ship just the trailer. Expensive, but reasonable enough. Or, wait until fall (if you can!) - there will probably be a whole slew of skiffs locally for sale then. Happens every year.