Thread: a little help with bear

Default a little help with bear

Looking for some help around the valley to put my son on a bear. I want to keep him interested in hunting as he shot his first buck last year in Texas but is not ready for the long days and challenges of Alaskan big game. We have just been stationed at Ft Richardson and I don't have the area knowledge yet to put him on a bear. If anyone has a bait sight that they would allow us to sit on for a day or two I would greatly appreciate it. I don't want to keep him out of the woods and have him loose interest in hunting. Thanks- Brian

Most people will be done bear hunting until the fall. And baiting is closed until next spring. This time of year most everyone is chasing fish of some sort.

Sent while hiding from the boss

Only because you indicated you're new to Alaska, here are just a few things to consider:

You didn't indicate the age of your son, but if he hasn't had an opportunity to take the Basic Hunter Ed course, you may want to do that during this "in between" season so he has that requirement fulfilled before the Fall season begins. It's a good course and can be made into a fun learning experience. Also, there are small game opportunities on JBER, but all hunters need the Basic Ed course as well as some other restrictions and access permits taken care of. Here's a link: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ed.basichunter

There are many opportunities as well as detailed education/permit requirements, so make sure you get up to speed on all those items before heading afield. Welcome aboard and have fun! http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.main

There's always the potential of finding a bear up in the mountains. It's a lot harder now with the heavy foliage, but it can be done. How old is your boy? Would he be up for a hike if you were to spot one on the side of a hill? Finding a good vantage point up in the mountains and doing some glassing can still be productive. If you, and especially he, likes to take time glassing, it would still be a good way for both of you to enjoy being together on a "hunt".....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Most people will be done bear hunting until the fall. And baiting is closed until next spring. This time of year most everyone is chasing fish of some sort.

That is not entirely true, places still open to bait, just not unit 7,15 where we hunt.

Almost if not all baiting ended on the 30th.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    That is not entirely true, places still open to bait, just not unit 7,15 where we hunt.
    Said he was looking for help around the valley area. I assumed it closed the same time as it does here on the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Said he was looking for help around the valley area. I assumed it closed the same time as it does here on the pen.

It does, but a short drive into 16 gives ya a whole nother option! Not gonna spell it out here tho, but yet baiting still going on for a lot longer than we can ever imagine in our area, but browns over bait will make up for that!

OP, I might be able to help in a few weeks, till then, just go hike and explore, or take up an offer from someone, go drive the roads in petersville, walk some power lines and trails, that's half the fun seeing new country and just exploring. NO shooting: on, from or across a driveable surface though!

he's 8 this year and has completed basic hunters ed over a year ago. He has put down two deer last year. I am booked this fall so wanted to get him out before then. Thanks

That's cool. Just keep him interested by hiking and being out there. Kid can't expect to kill an animal everytime he heads out the door ya know. Would mean more to him if you guys spotted one together doing your own thing. I have some more ideas for ya, won't post here tho. I'll text ya or call sometime.

I hear there are area's that you can drive and try to spot' em from the road and try to stalk. Hope is one area I have heard mentioned but looking closer to home. Any insight to a road to hit? Would like to get out and do some exploring over the long holiday weekend and if a black can be spotted and stalked so be it.

I have three yard bears, one is a 3 1/2 y/o Black Bear named "Spooky". Spooky is in the yard near every morning. And there is Bad'Bear a 5 1/2 y/o Black Bear. "BB" is only around about 2 or 3 evenings a week. And there is "D@mm GONZO" a solid 9 foot Brown Bear. He had a lady friend up till about three weeks, but she is gone now. She is a honey blond, not double dark chocolate like "D@MM GONZO".

Quote Originally Posted by breth View Post
    I hear there are area's that you can drive and try to spot' em from the road and try to stalk.
    That's what I was talking about in my post above. Guys have spotted and killed blackies not far south from the Girdwood area....

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I have three yard bears, one is a 3 1/2 y/o Black Bear named "Spooky". Spooky is in the yard near every morning. And there is Bad'Bear a 5 1/2 y/o Black Bear. "BB" is only around about 2 or 3 evenings a week. And there is "D@mm GONZO" a solid 9 foot Brown Bear. He had a lady friend up till about three weeks, but she is gone now. She is a honey blond, not double dark chocolate like "D@MM GONZO".
    There ya go breth.......It looks like AGL4now wants you to come and shoot one out of his yard...!!!