Thread: Homer Fishing Hole Reds?

Default Homer Fishing Hole Reds?

I was down at the fishing hole last night with my son. We were there just as the water started to move into the hole. There were a good amount of people fishing and very few fish being landed. However, I could see schools of fish in the water within about 10 feet of the shore (inside the hole). I tried a few different lures and couldn't get anything to bite. There wasn't anyone else that was close to me catching either. I know people have been catching kings there the last few weeks, but the fish I was seeing seemed a bit small to be kings. Could they have been reds?

Im not sure they stock reds in there. Im think they have a website that tells what they stock.

I have seen some very very small kings come out of there. A few days ago while cleaning our halibut at the tables a guy brought one up that must have been about 14 inches to clean up. They may just be little kings in there.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

there are a lot of jack kings in there, especially this year.
    They dont hit much once in the lagoon because they are seeing the same lures/bait over and over and over.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

The "Fishing Hole", aka Nick Dudiak Lagoon, is stocked with coho and chinook every year, nothing else. It's early for the silvers to show up so Soda Biscuit is correct when he says they are probably jacks "circling the wagons" in the lagoon. The bite can come on when the tide gets flowing in or out of the lagoon. When the water slows the fish become disinterested...

Smile The Combat Hole . .

We called it the "Combat Hole," and I haven't fished it for years. Never heard of anything stocked in there other than kings and silvers.

Try a #4 Vibrax fished slow and deep.

Good luck . .

Thanks for the responses! I guess it wasn't our lucky day... It was good to at least see fish in there. I know it's been pretty poor the last few years. It seems the recent dredging is helping to turn things around... We'll keep trying

Thursday caught 3 Jack's using number 3 vibrax watched them chase it to the shoreline. Yeah they are jacks Caught a 20 plus 2hrs after high tide. # 5 silver and red.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Laker Hunter View Post
    Thursday caught 3 Jack's using number 3 vibrax watched them chase it to the shoreline. Yeah they are jacks Caught a 20 plus 2hrs after high tide. # 5 silver and red.
    Thanks for the tip! I only had 1 vibrax in my box and I snagged it on the 2nd or 3rd cast. (There goes another 5 bucks...)

"T-spoons" are good ones too....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!