Thread: Kenai Sockeye ?

Default Kenai Sockeye ?

Anybody fished for sockeye on lower kenai this week ? I see 7500 fish on counter but kinda wondering if its a decent fishable number

I don't bother wetting a line on the lower river until there are at least 25-30,000 sockeye a day going through. 7,500 sockeye passing in 24 hours on such a big river, that's a needle in a hay stack.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    I don't bother wetting a line on the lower river until there are at least 25-30,000 sockeye a day going through. 7,500 sockeye passing in 24 hours on such a big river, that's a needle in a hay stack.
    Thanks for the reply !!

3rd week of july is the beginning of the frenzy

Last summer I had a friend that was determined to catch his sockeye the first week of July, It took him about 11 hours to catch 3 fish, he was determined. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by gerberman View Post
    Last summer I had a friend that was determined to catch his sockeye the first week of July, It took him about 11 hours to catch 3 fish, he was determined. LOL
    Holy smokes. That is one worn out arm. I talked to a guy on the kasilof the other day that fished for 10 hrs and caught two. I cant say I stayed around to make the same attempt.

If you look at the run history on ADF&G typically between the 15th and 20th is when the large amounts of fish start to push through. Its hard not to catch one then.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.