Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Help! Best way to move heavy fish cooler across Kenai beach?

  1. #1

    Default Help! Best way to move heavy fish cooler across Kenai beach?

    I'm looking for the most efficient way to move the fish cooler across the beach after dip-netting. Does anyone have any suggestions? Cart, sled brand etc. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    376

    Default

    A four wheeler is the best but I have used a garden cart, a cooler with wheels, and a plastic sled. A good strong friend works well also.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    489

    Default

    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...rue&sst=subset

    maybe swap out the tires for something better in the sand

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Leave the large cooler in the bed of the truck and transfer the fish with a smaller, lower capacity cooler or a tub... Save the back!

  5. #5

    Default

    I've used wagon w big wheels. Barely moves in beach sand. Best deal is a plastic snow sled. Come in diff sizes. Might be tuff to find this time of year.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HomerJack View Post
    Best deal is a plastic snow sled.
    Bingo! Nothing beats a big jet sled for dragging stuff across the beach. Just don't forget gloves because wet rope + beach sand = hands torn to hell. It also helps to throw a few bungie cords in to lash down the cooler in case the sled tips over.

  7. #7
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,392

    Default

    I go the plastic sled route as well, but another great option is to hand a $5 bill to a couple of teenagers hanging out with their families and let them do the work.

  8. #8
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I go the plastic sled route as well, but another great option is to hand a $5 bill to a couple of teenagers hanging out with their families and let them do the work.
    $5...??? I didn't think teenagers did anything for $5 these days.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  9. #9
    Member Toddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...rue&sst=subset

    maybe swap out the tires for something better in the sand
    I use this on the north side - it works great. By the time it gets filled up it is time to come in and clean fish - 15 whole fish or so. Just my nickel

    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

    Scott Adams

  10. #10
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...rue&sst=subset

    maybe swap out the tires for something better in the sand
    Good Lord, what is up with their prices? They have an Igloo 110 quart cooler with wheels and extendable handle for $275. I just bought the exact same cooler from Costco for $125. Also have seen it on sale (last fall) in the $100 range.

  11. #11

    Default

    Thank you all! I have a few days to make some choices. I have on of the large Grainger coolers; however, those just get stuck in the sand and you end up dragging it a 1/4 mile. Well, it's all part of being Alaskan and part of the process. You drag fish across the beach or you haul them up cliffs...Wow, the things we Alaskans do for our fish. Blessings to you all as you fill them freezers.

  12. #12

    Default

    anyone ever tried putting a cooler on kayak launch wheels?

  13. #13

    Default


    Just need some bigger wheels...

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Knik
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Billybobsky View Post
    I'm looking for the most efficient way to move the fish cooler across the beach after dip-netting. Does anyone have any suggestions? Cart, sled brand etc. Thanks.
    Maybe some enterprising person or two, one at the beach and one at the parking area will start a transport service each way to transport people and gear to and from the beach. A good 4 wheeler can easily carry a passenger and trailer with nets and cooler down and back, and at the end of the day, it might be worth it to pay someone to transport you and your gear. You probably would become the next Donald Trump doing it, but it might be worth a try. I have one of the old 2 wheel drive Honda 200 TRX machines and have that thing so loaded down with stuff sometimes it looks like nets and coolers moving by themselves as it is hard to see the machine or driver. Needless to say, I do have a net rack on each side of my machine and maybe a trailer could be used as well. In low range it can carry an amazing amount, in my case 35 fish and two nets as well as there large coolers, and I have never gotten stuck down there. As to the liability of carrying a passenger, that is another matter for the individual to consider. Personally, I wouldn't do it for money with a person, but it might be a way for someone not fishing that is in a group to spend the time and make a few bucks as well as providing a service some people might be glad to pay for. I am not advocating gouging people, but more as a service and to make a few bucks for someone, especially teens, that doesn't have anything better to do at the moment anyway.

  15. #15
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post

    Just need some bigger wheels...
    I was actually considering exactly that....

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uhldwm View Post
    Maybe some enterprising person or two, one at the beach and one at the parking area will start a transport service each way to transport people and gear to and from the beach. A good 4 wheeler can easily carry a passenger and trailer with nets and cooler down and back, and at the end of the day, it might be worth it to pay someone to transport you and your gear. You probably would become the next Donald Trump doing it, but it might be worth a try. I have one of the old 2 wheel drive Honda 200 TRX machines and have that thing so loaded down with stuff sometimes it looks like nets and coolers moving by themselves as it is hard to see the machine or driver. Needless to say, I do have a net rack on each side of my machine and maybe a trailer could be used as well. In low range it can carry an amazing amount, in my case 35 fish and two nets as well as there large coolers, and I have never gotten stuck down there. As to the liability of carrying a passenger, that is another matter for the individual to consider. Personally, I wouldn't do it for money with a person, but it might be a way for someone not fishing that is in a group to spend the time and make a few bucks as well as providing a service some people might be glad to pay for. I am not advocating gouging people, but more as a service and to make a few bucks for someone, especially teens, that doesn't have anything better to do at the moment anyway.
    Are four wheelers legal on the beach at Kenai?

  17. #17
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish View Post
    Are four wheelers legal on the beach at Kenai?
    South beach, yes. North beach, no...at least not at the mouth and around the dunes. I think you can take them north from the parking area down the beach. Actually heard some folks go north to dipnet and do well and with no crowds.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default beach job

    There might not be much of a market to do that with an ATV on South beach; dipnetters don't walk from the road to the dipping area there, so none would arrive onsite with that plan, so there isn't much (or any) of a niche to fill there.

    But the North beach is entirely different. Everyone shows up planning to hoof their stuff over the sand because ATVs aren't allowed. A couple of mid sized 18 year olds would make a significant amount of cash offering that, I bet.

    And also while we're talking about enterprising youth on the dipnet beach, I admired the perseverance of a boy that met a few years ago. He "covered" a very large section of the dipnet beach offering to all to take their fishs' eggs if the owner wasn't saving them. Every person catching or gutting a fish got a pleasant offer from him. And he accumulated more egg sacs than I've ever seen anyone possess. His plans were to process them and sell them back to anglers as bait. Smart Boy.

  19. #19
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    There might not be much of a market to do that with an ATV on South beach; dipnetters don't walk from the road to the dipping area there, so none would arrive onsite with that plan, so there isn't much (or any) of a niche to fill there.

    But the North beach is entirely different. Everyone shows up planning to hoof their stuff over the sand because ATVs aren't allowed. A couple of mid sized 18 year olds would make a significant amount of cash offering that, I bet.

    And also while we're talking about enterprising youth on the dipnet beach, I admired the perseverance of a boy that met a few years ago. He "covered" a very large section of the dipnet beach offering to all to take their fishs' eggs if the owner wasn't saving them. Every person catching or gutting a fish got a pleasant offer from him. And he accumulated more egg sacs than I've ever seen anyone possess. His plans were to process them and sell them back to anglers as bait. Smart Boy.
    Wonder if his name was Nate....

    There's a definite niche that could be filled for both hauling fish/gear and filleting. The right people working could make some quick (notice I didn't say easy) money.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    Your kids...... If you have any well that why my dad had kids so he didn't have to do things anymore..
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •