Thread: Low water on the 40 mile

Default Low water on the 40 mile

Our group is leaving from the Southfork on the fourth. I've done the river before but I can't recall water levels. I called Chicken for a shuttle and they said the 40 mile is as low as they have ever seen it. Anyone with some experience know how much dragging we should expect in a couple of loaded Sotar SB's at the current water levels? Thanks for any help. Shannon

How about a trip report. I heard they are finally getting some rain.

Has anybody arranged a shuttle from Eagle for the lower part of the Forty Mile/Yukon float? I'm planning a family float the first week of August and don't want to drive a second car all the way from Anchorage if I don't need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    Has anybody arranged a shuttle from Eagle for the lower part of the Forty Mile/Yukon float? I'm planning a family float the first week of August and don't want to drive a second car all the way from Anchorage if I don't need to.
    Call 40 mile Air. They run shuttles for float hunts so maybe they would do it for you. I think it ran 150 dollars or something like that when I did it.

Thank you ery much. I'll post the details if we use them.

Default Trip Report

July 5th Drove to Chicken met up with Nate at the Goldpanner and paid $100 for them to shuttle our vehicle from the South Fork Bridge to the Fortymile Bridge. Put in around 5:30 p.m. Low water and some dragging floated for 2 hours camped at Wade Creek.

Day 2 Floated dragged and rowed 20 miles in around 8 hours. Camped just above the confluence with the North Fork.

Day 3 Rain began to fall broke camp around 1:30 Floated to the Fortymile bridge in 6 1/2 hours very little hang ups water level is rising.

Overall, it was a great float with friends and family. My son and wife ran the little rapids just before the take out which was cool. Low water made the trip more work than planned. The river has come up since our float and would be faster and easier for other groups. The low water exposed mind blowing rock formations. No bears seen but plenty of tracks. The Goldpanner in Chicken is the place to go for shuttles email them in advance. They went way out of their way to help us on the way in and out. Drive safe on the Taylor it turned bad when the rain began to fall.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 07-10-2013 at 09:11. Reason: added links

Excellent report and great pictures. I see that when you put in the flow at the Fortymile bridge was about 850 CFS but dropped to about 750 by the afternoon on the 6th (hence dragging). Then on the 7th it hovered around 700 CFS but no dragging. That is great information. looks like a fast and fun trip.

Great job with your report and float.

Your effort and experience is enjoyed by all....
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Great job with your report and float.

Your effort and experience is enjoyed by all....

Cool pics and great trip report. I'm thinking about doing a last minute trip up to the 40 Mile in the next couple of days. Never been up in that area. I'm thinking South Fork Bridge to 40 Mile Bridge...I'd like to see as much as the river as possible. We will have 8 days/7nights to drive/float from Eagle River. Still trying to figure out exactly where I want to put-in/take-out/shuttle and lodge (one, maybe two nights). Any cool lodges or cabins in the area?

I have a 16' Sotar and am wondering if I should be concerned about dragging. Is Fortymile NR Steel Creek what I should be looking at?

Also, how are the fires right now in that area?

Thanks,
    Josh

Never mind, found the info I was looking for.