Thread: Lilacs . . . ?

Default Lilacs . . . ?

Anyone else have trouble with their lilacs freezing (?) last winter? Both my sister-in-law (Eagle River) and I (Soldotna) lost about half our lilac bushes . . about 1/2 the canes are not blooming this spring.

If not freezing, what . . ?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

My bushes are OK...well kind of. The bushes themselves (greenery) look great, but I only got half as many blooms as I normally get. Not sure what the deal is.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    My bushes are OK...well kind of. The bushes themselves (greenery) look great, but I only got half as many blooms as I normally get. Not sure what the deal is.

Voiced a similar complaint to a friend who claims to know about such things . . his advice, "Lime 'em."

That was a few years ago . . followed his advice . . lots of blooms.

Who knows . . ?

Just a few leaves back on one lilac and the rest nothing
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Anyone else have trouble with their lilacs freezing (?) last winter? Both my sister-in-law (Eagle River) and I (Soldotna) lost about half our lilac bushes . . about 1/2 the canes are not blooming this spring.

If not freezing, what . . ?
    My raspberry canes have no greenery on the top half, half my strawberries winter killed, and the wifes scrawny little lilac bush that the moose love to chew on, only half of it came back.. I'm going to blame it on the winter... for lack of any other logical explaination.

My lilacs have one flower each this year, raspberries are about half leaved, and I lost a bunch of strawberry plants and about a dozen perennials. I think it may have been caused by the winter rain that got into the soil, crystallized, and root killed or damaged many perennials.

My mosquito hatch has been very successful this year!

Many of our lilacs took a hit this year, very few flowers and 4 lilacs that never budded at all. They were pulled and new ones put in their place.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Does anyone know where to buy lilac bushes in the soldotna area?

Quote Originally Posted by BRWHUNTER View Post
    Does anyone know where to buy lilac bushes in the soldotna area?
    do you know anyone with lilac bushes? We often dig up the suckers at the bottom of the bush and plant them in a pot til the next season. Transplanting is relatively easy (at least we have never had any youngsters bite it, LOL) Just transplanted 10 'yearlings' this spring.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

If it makes you feel any better, ours did the samething here. Our wild raspberries didnt blume and the mulberries as well.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Ok, I have a question for you...how do you store the lilacs for the winter after you dig them up and put them in containers?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon3464 View Post
    Ok, I have a question for you...how do you store the lilacs for the winter after you dig them up and put them in containers?
    Nope, just leave them where they are. My lilacs are between 10 and 20+ feet tall

This winter was really hard on my perennial beds. I lost at least half of my plants. Then spring came and the rodents decimated even more of my garden. The dog tried his best to deal with the mice but now I have big holes where he dug up the burrows. There are only a few plants left. I started more seeds to replace the plants I lost but they will be very small this fall. Should I plant them and hope for the best or try to overwinter them in containers? I have an unheated greenhouse but I haven't successfully overwintered anything but a meadow rue in a container, and I lost one of the two I tried it with, along with all of my hollyhocks and quite a few bulbs. The severe freezer/thaw cycle this year flooded the greenhouse then refrozen before we could move enough snow for it to drain. It might have been ok if i had put the plants up higher but I don't really know for sure. Is it wise to try to overwinter in a container? It seems like nurseries must do it. But how? Thanks!