Thread: Seward halibut

Default Seward halibut

Anyone have a few pointers on halibut spots around fox, hive, and the narrows? I have been fishing my butt off out there and I'm getting nothing but flounders or nothing at all, this is about as far out as I can usually go s I'd really appreciate any help.

I have seen them caught off Hive when the salmon are in the bay. Try off the rocky point west side of Rugged, there is also a nice looking hump on the west side of Fox between the two coves, never tried it but looks like it would hold some fish.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

try off the Iron Doors and Eldorado Narrows

Thank for the help guys, I have tried those places.... ALOT but I guess that's fishin, I'll keep tryin!

My wife and I will anchor in 240 feet of water over the ridge that extends from the northern spur on the west side of Rugged Island for easy access to 10-15 lb halibut. We caught our limit fairly easily on Saturday. We find halibut there consistently from the end of June through about middle August. We drop a chum bag and simply fish with a herring on a circle hook. A real bonus is that we catch very, very few Arrow Tooth Flounder there and will occasionally get into Dusky Rock Fish as well.

Quote Originally Posted by healerf18 View Post
    My wife and I will anchor in 240 feet of water over the ridge that extends from the northern spur on the west side of Rugged Island for easy access to 10-15 lb halibut. We caught our limit fairly easily on Saturday. We find halibut there consistently from the end of June through about middle August. We drop a chum bag and simply fish with a herring on a circle hook. A real bonus is that we catch very, very few Arrow Tooth Flounder there and will occasionally get into Dusky Rock Fish as well.
    Good advice and I will add that if you fish too close or more than 300' you will experience a lot of flounder. Keep it on the 200' side and things will get better.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Kevin,
    Not sure how far you can go out, but AKCAPT once stated a couple of miles south of Barwell can be good, look for the shallowest spot(313) and wait it out. I haven't gone that far south of Barwell but did try the south side a couple years ago. Although it was slow we did pick up a couple 25 lbers. If conditions allow it early in the morning it may be worth a shot & then just work your way in.

BTW - here's a short video of my wife catching her second halibut of the day off the northwest spur of Rugged Island.

Right on, thanks guys. We will hopefully be out there all weekend so if I dont catch some butts then I'm giving up!!!!

Try 200-300 yards off south side hive island, 240-270 feet of water. Nothing over 20 pounds but still have done well there from time to time.

From late July through August, we pull 100+ pounders off of Fox Island every year. I don't keep these larger fish, but we will pick up a few 100+ every year in the bay around Fox Island. As mentioned, we use rather large bait such as salmon heads and other components.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly