Thread: Last Day of C-n-R in Unit 2

Default Last Day of C-n-R in Unit 2

It was a nice night out to close out fishing catch and release for kings at Willow and other Unit 2 streams last night. I did quite well for the two hours I fished it, but was a little disgusted at watching people (one in particular) continuously ripping and snagging king after king. It was pretty obvious that this person was intentionally snagging. Great to see a lot of kings in Willow, but quite sad to see them being scarred up and harassed before they get their mojo on upstream.

Any size to them boys and girls out there, 3wks ago there was a lot of jacks

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Laker Hunter View Post
    Any size to them boys and girls out there, 3wks ago there was a lot of jacks
    There were a lot of 10-25 pounders, and a couple of jacks, but no BIG fish like there always used to be. Biggest one I got was approaching 30. Nice color still too. Didn't see a single fire engine.

Its sad. I remember not all that long ago fishing down at Sheep creek and landing 40+ lb kings all up and down the bank. Now its to the point I wont even go fish for them because the numbers are so low I feel I would be irresponsible to put un needed strain on a dwindling return of kings. When I was a kid back in the late 80s early 90s I remember watching people land 60-70 lb kings all the time out of Sheep. I remember one guy catching a salmon that was as big as his 10 year old son.

Its sad to hear that the fish that were making it up were not the huge monsters of old but little 10 to 20 pounders. I really wish they would just shut the whole thing down for 5-6 years during King season and let them recoup. Silvers seem to be not to far behind them too with the last few returns have been.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    Its sad. I remember not all that long ago fishing down at Sheep creek and landing 40+ lb kings all up and down the bank. Now its to the point I wont even go fish for them.....
    I've been the same way about the Kasilof for the last 3-4 years. I've been fishing that river for 30......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!