Thread: Cottonwood ATV trail will open this fall

Default Cottonwood ATV trail will open this fall

--- On Tue, 7/2/13, Meehan, Joe (DFG) <joe.meehan@alaska.gov> wrote:
    Subject: RE: Public Meeting Request
    To: "'bud bass'" <budbassc21@yahoo.com>, "Hill, Doug D (DFG)" <doug.hill@alaska.gov>
    Cc: "Shaun Jensen" <svjensen@alasco.net>, "Hugh Clark" <Alaskadh01@gmail.com>, "director@palmerhayflats.org" <director@palmerhayflats.org>, "'james mcphee'" <j.mcphee@live.com>
    Date: Tuesday, July 2, 2013, 8:52 AM
    Bud – here’s the direction I’ve been given:

·The trail will be open to ATVs during this fall’s waterfowl season.

·Increase education and enforcement (by ADF&G and troopers) to keep ATV users on the trail.

·Conduct a user survey during the hunting season, and perhaps a secondary survey to capture views of those missed (and those that use the refuge for uses other than waterfowl hunting).
    ·Conduct public meetings this winter to discuss issues, review alternatives, etc.

We have already seen illegal ATV use of the new bridge and riding in the wetlands (boulders are in place but bollards are yet to be installed, ATVs were squeezing around the boulders).

We’ll need to construct a hardened Geoblock ATV trail from the new bridge to the existing trail and we could use a crew of volunteers. Looking at tides, before July 21 would work (there are a set of 32.0+ tides from July 21-27). If we give the marsh a week to drain slightly, we’ll have another work window around 5-18 August. Any help from AWA, the forum, APH and other would be appreciated. I’ll send out a notice when we have definitive plan.

Sent: Monday, July 01, 2013 7:34 AM
    To: Meehan, Joe (DFG); Hill, Doug D (DFG)
    Cc: Shaun Jensen; Hugh Clark; director@palmerhayflats.org
    Subject: Public Meeting Request

The subject of ATV use on the Palmer Hay flats Refuge, specifically, Cottonwood Creek access area has come up again on the Outdoor Directory Waterfowl Forum. We did have the meeting in Palmer this winter where erosion and trail damage was discussed at length by both Joe and Doug, and there was much input from hunters present. From those present, I believe the consensus was to do what is best for the ducks. It appears there is a large number of people who are more concerned about easy hunter access then what is best for the ducks. I am requesting that we have a public meeting prior to the opening of waterfowl hunting season, and prior to the making of a decision on ATV access to Cottonwood Creek. So both hunters, non hunters, and wildlife professionals can express their views of the best direction to go. At least then, when the decision is announced, people on both sides of the issue will have knowledge of what the decision is based on.

Wasilla

The decision has been made. We will need a volunteer work party before hunting season, will announce when the work session will be done. Hope all of you that want to hunt there this fall will sign up. I may even take a trip or two out there this fall myself, even though I would have perfered it remaining closed to ATV traffic. Bud
    Wasilla

I'll help lay down matts if it's before Aug 7th (sheep hunting then) And the offer still stands to run out and hunt that pond if you are still interested in going.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I'll even help ya get him out there...lol

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I'll help lay down matts if it's before Aug 7th (sheep hunting then) And the offer still stands to run out and hunt that pond if you are still interested in going.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I'll be there laying down the matts. I would like to see the end of the trail out there, this may be my chance. Bud
    Wasilla