Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annual Sheep Taxi Thread

Default Annual Sheep Taxi Thread

Looking for recommendations for the best sheep taxidermist located in the Valley or in Anchorage. Please keep this thread positive so no slammin' the guys you don't like.

Thanks

Dahlbergs Taxidermy aka Hoytguy on this forum gets all of our animals. You can't go wrong sending anything to him. One of my hunting partners double broomer from last year looks as real as they come. Check out the last page on this post to see the results.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...double+broomer

Thanks Woods!

Dan Williams in Palmer with Animal Artistry (I think?) is really good at sheep. Joe Romano, but his wait list to have your stuff done is FOREVER!!! Knight's in Anchorage is good too. They did my first dall and they'll do my marco polo when it arrives in a week or two. Also Knight's will typically have your mount done by Christmas of that year. They did mine.

Brett

Thanks Brett.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Lone Wolf Taxidermy in Eagle River. Dave's work is second to none!!!!!!!!

Thanks Jeff.

I second Dan Williams at Wildlife Artistry in Palmer, he's the only guy I'll drop my stuff off to. If you ever stop by his place, ask to see his stuff in his living room. And the full body Marco Polo he did is amazing. Kotton's dall mount will blow you away too. I got to see it when I dropped my bear off, I won't steal any of Kotton's thunder when he finally posts pics, but you will be impressed. He does custom base work too, so if you want to have a rock ledge or something included in the mount he can hook that up as well. Plus when you go to his shop you will probably be there for a while, because he's very enthusiastic about hunting, and has some stories. Another thing, when you walk into his shop look at his wall, it's covered with blue ribbons he's won from his work. That said a lot to me the first time I walked in.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Thanks Duck.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Lone Wolf Taxidermy in Eagle River. Dave's work is second to none!!!!!!!!
    Dave did a fantastic job on a goat for me, and is a great guy to work with.

Foster's Taxidermy in Wasilla. He is the best especially on the white critters. Easy to work with and quality workmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Foster's Taxidermy in Wasilla. He is the best especially on the white critters. Easy to work with and quality workmanship.
    Thanks Polar

I know one taxi not to bring sheep to!Just picked up a mount from Dan at wildlife artistry and was better than I expected!Waiting to get a cape this year to finish the mount but its still a show stopper with just two rams!Ill post some pics of it later.He is a great artist,every mount i've seen from him shows how much he cares about his work true perfectionist.Stunning show room to take a look at.

I will second Fosters, in my opinion, he's the best I have seen. Takes some time to return the mount as he's very busy and he puts full effort and a lot of time and care into his work, but the wait is well worth it. Stop by his place and see his work.
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

Quote Originally Posted by steeliekingfisher View Post
    I will second Fosters, in my opinion, he's the best I have seen. Takes some time to return the mount as he's very busy and he puts full effort and a lot of time and care into his work, but the wait is well worth it. Stop by his place and see his work.
    Thanks Steelie.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Looking for recommendations for the best sheep taxidermist located in the Valley or in Anchorage. Please keep this thread positive so no slammin' the guys you don't like.

Thanks
    There are only a handful of people in Alaska who can do a decent sheep. 90% of hunters don't know squat about quality taxidermy. Asking others who is best is futile. Do your homework, learn anatomy, look at thousands of photos of sheep faces and bodies. Make a list of qualities to check for. There are several photos on this site of sheep mounts posted by the owners that think they are "The best I've ever seen," or 'Awesome," etc. I see ears that are set way too low, horns that are not properly positioned on the head, squinty eyes, monkey lips, nose positions that are not corrected, brisket hair out of alignment, and so on. Taxidermy is not art, it is a craft, so there are actual checklists and standards that should be met. It is up to hunters to learn the truth.

It makes no sense to spend thousands of dollars on gear, transportation, and hunt prep only to walk away from all that effort and be lazy about picking a taxidermist. Instead of admiring taxidermy mounts, start looking for things you think are wrong and go look at pictures to see if you are correct. If you see a nice looking mount and the freaking ear butts look like they are down on the neck and below the eyeballs, you know it's wrong. That's just one example.

Also, it is human nature for people to recommend the taxidermist that they use. We all do it. It makes us feel validated if someone else takes our advice and it makes us feel like our opinion matters. It also makes us feel helpful and qualified to give guidance to other people. Forget that. Do your homework and remember that you get what you pay for. Are high prices always a symbol of quality? No, but it is a good place to start. Don't start at the bottom of the price range and work your way up, do the opposite, start at the top and work your way down if you are looking for the best value. Look for people who specialize in sheep or big game shoulder mounts and don't be seduced by taxidermists who can "do it all." Specializing makes people better because they are interested in that specialization and they care more about it. Stay away from taxidermy factories who give discounts, and if you find a good taxidermist, don't ask for a discount because you wouldn't go to work and work for a discount if your boss asked you for a discount on your wages.

I could go on and on but it is your responsibility to be taxidermy savvy. Don't cheat yourself by leaving something important up to others.

Thanks for the advise.

I sort of agree with Pacwest, BUT.

Just because someone SAYS they Specialize in a certain species has NOTHING to do with their quality level.

As Pacwest says, if something looks wrong with a mount, it usually meens there is something off or out of place.

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT.

check to see what the taxidermists Everyday work looks like verses what he displays in their show room.

I know a couple of guys that display mounts in their showroom that they did in a training class or school, or better yet didnt even mount em theirselves.

Even at Major competitions we have run into this. We have been asked to judge a mount that the taxidermist was not solely responcible for the piece entered.

No its not fair or Ethical.

I do agree , that most of the time the cheapest guy in town probably cant mount a stick horse very well , & is usually the first guy to Ruin, sell,or just not get the work done at all, let alone do a quality mount. We have all seen this several times on here.

anouther thing to think about is how far behind the taxidermist is.

Just because they are 2 or 3 years behind on workloads doesnt have anything to do with quality either, it usualy has an underlying reason such as anouther job or something like that that takes presidence over getting their taxidermy obligations done.

If I was wanting to have something mounted , I sure would like to get it back while I can still remember the hunt, not After I have killed anouther 3 animals.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks

kingfisherktn here are 3 rams Dan from Wildlife Artistry has done for me.Top notch work!

Nice, thanks Kotton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast