Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 weeks to sheep!!

Talking 12 weeks to sheep!!

Kinda has a nice ring to it don't ya think?! That is if your going to be sheep hunting opening day.

12 weeks to get in sheep shape, buy new gear, count sheep to get to sleep, etc!

Have you been hiking, biking, hiking, squating, running and hiking yet?? Ya got 12 weeks! I read in another post that someone saw daveintheburbs humping it up the side of the road in his Koflachs and hauling a pack. I know there are a few of us out there!

What new gear are you getting this year?

I'm upgrading my optics and maybe my boots.

I got home this evening from a training hike (still with a light pack 30lbs.) When I walked in the door I found that my wife had cooked up a sheep roast that was still stashed in the freezer! Something about it, training for sheep hunting and come home to a sheep dinner! Ya gotta love life in Alaska!!

Is it that soon???? <grin>

Man I better dig my pack out of the closet!

Got too much bear hunting on my mind!

Default thanks for the count down

Me and my wife went out tonight. We just started this week getting ready. We've been carry 40 lb. bags of floor dry in our packs around creamers field in Fairbanks. She drew the Tok hunt, it will be her first big game hunt shes been on, besides cooking for me guiding at moose camp last year. Should be a blast.

I know everyone has probably heard it but the best way to get in shape is to go to the hill scouting as often as you can. Just nothing quite like those scree slopes and glacier valleys to get use to. Memorial weekend we are headed down to the Kenai to scout for my brothers goat for four days. The more you get out the more you'll thank yourself in the middle of the hunt.

It is really exciting, we both cant wait.

good luck to everyone,

josh

New Lowa's and a real mountain tent

You're killing me, Snyd! Man...this was going to be my year. I had two places planned out and 10 days set aside for a walk-in marathon of a sheep hunt, and then...the school board in its wisdom decided that teachers need to be back to school almost a full week before students, on August 16th. OK, I can handle a 6 day sheep hunt. But wait, now there is something that my wife and I have to be back in town for on the 11th at 8:00pm. I'm still holding out this ridiculous hope that I can do a opening day hunt. I took my first sheep on the 10th 10 years ago and was back into Anchorage by the morning of the 11th. We're going to head into the mountains on the 6th or 7th as long as our scouting trips indicate there are some rams in the area. If there are no rams around on the 10th, well...maybe I'll be able to pull off some weekend hunts or a day or two off in September, but I am not looking forward to sheep season as much as I once was. Still, it is in my blood...and even if it's only for one day, I can't help but get fired up about the slight chance, however unlikely, of chasing white ghosts through the crags of seldom visited peaks.

-Brian

Default Twelve weeks still?

It will be here before we know it. I've been training for a month now. Been biking to work nearly every day along with the stairs and pack routine during my lunch break. Done several hikes/climbs already. Next weekend I'm going to climb Rainier. That should be good for a few extra leg muscle fibers!

Thumbs up Lets go hike together!

Quote Originally Posted by montana boy View Post
    Me and my wife went out tonight. We just started this week getting ready. We've been carry 40 lb. bags of floor dry in our packs around creamers field in Fairbanks. She drew the Tok hunt, it will be her first big game hunt shes been on, besides cooking for me guiding at moose camp last year. Should be a blast.

I know everyone has probably heard it but the best way to get in shape is to go to the hill scouting as often as you can. Just nothing quite like those scree slopes and glacier valleys to get use to. Memorial weekend we are headed down to the Kenai to scout for my brothers goat for four days. The more you get out the more you'll thank yourself in the middle of the hunt.

It is really exciting, we both cant wait.

good luck to everyone,

josh
    Hi Josh,
    I'm a fellow Montana Boy. Moved here to Fairbanks in 92. Shoot me a pm. I have a great place to hike here in town that gives you 1500ft of vertical up and down. There is one short area that is as steep and rocky as sheep country including some scree. You can go up and down it as much as you want. It beats hiking the flats at Creamers! I'll take you up there anytime. You too Cub!

That's awesome she drew TMA, one of the most coveted Dall sheep hunts in the world! Do it right and make it count. Might be a once in a lifetime opportunity! My buddy and I drew DCUA walkin last year.

Perry

Default you're lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You're killing me, Snyd! Man...this was going to be my year. I had two places planned out and 10 days set aside for a walk-in marathon of a sheep hunt, and then...the school board in its wisdom decided that teachers need to be back to school almost a full week before students, on August 16th.

-Brian
    You're lucky....Fairbanks teachers have to be back on the 13th. My plan as of right now is to go out the weekend before the season opens, set up camp, and scout around so that hopefully I'll be in position to whack a sheep as soon as the season opens. If not, looks like I'll be out of luck for this year.

walk-in, I've been kicking around the idea of putting forth a proposal to the board of game to move the opening date of sheep hunting to August 1st. I know that it's a long shot, but perhaps if I built enough grass roots support it could have a chance. They have July sheep seasons in parts of Canada, so it's not like it's a bizarre idea. Would you get behind something like that?

Default sounds great

I'd absolutely be in favor of that. If we could get caribou moved, too, that would be great.

Brian, I'd support that! An August 1st start would help me too! Do we just need to write a proposal?

You teachers are out of luck. The hard core liberal NEA will just convinvce your school board to make you start even earlier........just to squash your plans to kill innocent sheep!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    You teachers are out of luck. The hard core liberal NEA will just convinvce your school board to make you start even earlier........just to squash your plans to kill innocent sheep!

MT, this is why we love to hate you!!!! LMAO!!!

good point!

Default Getting Prepared

It's a little longer for me cause my permit starts 9/5 in the Chugach. Got a Hilleberg Kaitum tent, Barney's Brooks range jacket, and some compression bags, etc. Been hiking 3-4 times/week with 124 lbs. 5.2 miles through some moderate hills, and climbing once a week w/ a 45-50lb pack up a 2800 foot accent. Also biking 30-45 minutes 5 times/week and squats twice/week. I'm getting serious this year!!! My boots might just give up the ghost before my hunt at this pace though.

Default earlier season proposal

Brian,

What would be the benefits and drawbacks of such a proposal to institute an earlier opening date for sheep? Would this also include non-resident opportunity? What specific units do you have in mind for the change, just the ones with general open seaons? Would like to hear some comprehensive thoughts on this, maybe via pm or something.
    Thanks,

I'm opposed to an earlier start for the sheep season for two reasons:

1) The harvest would likely be increased because the season would be longer and more people would have the opportunity to hunt. I am not aware of any GMUs that need more sheep harvest without an increase in abundance first.
    2) I believe that a longer hunting season could lead to sheep entering winter in worse shape because they have been chased around for an extra 10 days and have been subjected to extra stress by the longer hunting season.

If the season were shortened on the other end, that might help alleviate some of these problems, but we all know that far more sheep would be killed between August 1-10 than there are currently killed between September 10-20. I would not want to lose the late season opportunity either.

Back to the training plan......

I just finished my 4th summit of Everest this May without oxygen, of course and my next bid will include Annapurna and then I'll finish with a short trip across Antarctica. I should be ready for sheep season by then...I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Good point, marten, but one of the unintended consequences of the earlier start date is that we get out earlier, thus giving us teachers more opportunity to harvest some spring bears! Of course, bears aren't as innocent and cuddly as sheep, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    I'm opposed to an earlier start for the sheep season for two reasons:

1) The harvest would likely be increased because the season would be longer and more people would have the opportunity to hunt. I am not aware of any GMUs that need more sheep harvest without an increase in abundance first.
    2) I believe that a longer hunting season could lead to sheep entering winter in worse shape because they have been chased around for an extra 10 days and have been subjected to extra stress by the longer hunting season.

If the season were shortened on the other end, that might help alleviate some of these problems, but we all know that far more sheep would be killed between August 1-10 than there are currently killed between September 10-20. I would not want to lose the late season opportunity either.

Chisana - Good points. If I did ever put forth such a proposal, I would also recommend that the season be shortened by 10 days on the other end. I recognize that it could potentially result in a bit larger harvest, but given the full curl regulations (new any ram areas excepted), increased harvest of mature rams shouldn't negatively impact sheep populations. Of course, I know there is debate about that...but that's for another thread, eh?

Another idea - what about an early 10-day archery-only sheep hunt? Success rates would be low, but it would at least give some of us a chance to hunt. Maybe restrict it to walk-in only as well? Hmmm....

Mark (Bushrat) - I'll get to you on that. To be honest, I haven't thought through all of the ramifications. The thought just came to me a couple of weeks ago and I've been bouncing it around in my head. With only 4 school days left, I'm up to my ears in grading and planning final exams. I'll take some time to put my thoughts on paper after next week. I'm sure that process will help me figure out the viability of such an idea. (Incidentally, I'd also appreciate your input. This could very well turn out to be a ridiculous idea, but hey...that's why I threw it out there.)

Default holy smokes

Wow blackfoot, you're making my training regimine look a little weak. I tried to never really stop training throughout the year with lots of minutes on the stairclimber, leg weights and get er done hikes up and down the peaks. But I can see it's time to get the pack out again for more real ball bustin. But man---124 lbs 5.2 miles. . . . that's like packin out a real sheep. Nice job. I think I'd better go on a hike tonight. New gear includes rangefinder binos, a mont-bell coat, head lamp, smart wool layer and walking stick-ice axe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast